Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

I think there may have been something odd about Bootle registrations at that time. FreeBMD has an useful table mapping page numbers to volumes. For Bootle, 1837 and 1838 are missing from the table!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Well, not really. See Pam's post. The local register office doesn't allocate the page number, GRO numbers them to reflect the filing system used by GRO.

I'm not sure about the late receipt explanation. Quarterly marriage returns are sent directly from the church to GRO (not via the register office) and it's hard to envisage them all being late.
    Sorry, Peter, but the copies from the churches/chapels are sent to the register office for the district, from where they're forwarded to the GRO. (That's why the local register office couldn't provide marriage certificates unless you knew where the marriage took place. It's different nowadays since a lot of the local offices have indexed/digitised their records.)

I've just checked the births and deaths for 1838. Again, most of the entries have a letter after the page number, so I reckon that all of the registers for Bootle registration district were late being sent to the GRO. It does seem to be a very small registration district. No doubt one of those where the population is small, but quite a large land area.
    1841 census records 5,511 people in Bootle registration district. I've checked out some of the registration districts in Lincolnshire (another rural county but with at least one fairly large town in each district), and the lowest one was nearly 17,000.

Quote Originally Posted by drmike789 View Post
    I think you've got the right answer, Peter. There were 51 marriages registered in Bootle in 1838 - all have a letter after them, so it was some system the local registrar's office used. But not so in the New Forest or Kings Norton where many (most?) don't have a letter.

FreeBMD posits it was because of a late entry and the letter gives the month of registration. Not sure which months C represent ...
    I wouldn't give too much credence to the idea that a certain letter represents a particular month.

It's always good to know what things mean ... might provide an important clue.
    Sometimes, yes, but not much in this case when it's almost certainly just the result of the registrar failing to send his quarterly returns to the GRO.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Peter
    You're right. I'm wrong. I've been labouring under that misapprehension for many years.

Cripes, Pam. You'll be telling me that Father Christmas doesn't exist next

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12