Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Griffiths of Henllan

Hi, my mum and I are currently working through some family tree info and don't really have a great deal of history for my fathers side. His parents (my grandparents) moved from the UK to Australia in the 1960's and I don't believe they kept in contact with their relevant families.

I know my Nain (Elizabeth Eleanor Griffiths, born 29/06/1921) grew up in Henllan on a farm we believe was called Bryn Gwenyn. I know she had a brother (Thomas Owen Griffiths, who I believe is buried near the church in Henllan.

My Nain married my Taid (William Archibald Powell) at the church in Henllan on 27/12/1952.

We also know my Nains parents (my great grandparents) names were:
    Edith Eleanor Griffiths (passed 20/11/1968)
    Thomas Griffiths (Tom the tractor) (passed 29/03/1968)

This is quite a broad request for related information. Marriage details, burial details, stories, photos, basically any info as so far, my searches in databases fails to identify any of the above I have personally visited Henllan and would very much like to get back there!

Any suggestions?

Croeso cynnes/warm welcome to Brit-gen (again)
    Wish I'd read this post before chasing William's 1952 marriage! At least I was on the right track..
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Henllan falls within the registration District of St. Asaph

Marriage Registration
    Thomas Griffiths and Edith E Jones, Sep Qtr 1921, St. Asaph, vol 11b page 589

Birth Registrations
    Lizzie Ellen Griffiths, Sep Qtr 1921, St Asaph, vol 11b page 523 - mother's maiden name Jones (North Wales BMDs confirm registration sub district as Denbigh). Eleanor and Ellen often interchangeable. Birth Qtr "fits" Elizabeth's DoB 29 Jun 1921.(source FMP travel document - is yours a different source for DoB?)

Thomas Owen Griffiths, Sep Qtr 1922, St. Asaph, vol 11b page 523 - mother's maiden name Jones (North Wales BMDs confirm registration sub district as Denbigh).
    There's a 2nd Thomas Owen Griffiths birth registration, Sep Qtr 1922, St. Asaph mother's maiden name Davies - but chasing Jones as mother)

Very speculative - do you know if Elizabeth Eleanor was older than Thomas Owen?

There's a death registration for a Thomas Griffiths, age 89, St. Asaph. Cannot spot a Dec Qtr 1968, St Asaph registration for Edith - there is

Edith Griffiths, age 80, Dec Qtr 1966, St Asaph
    Edith Griffiths, age 72, Mar Qtr 1969, St Asaph

Can you confirm death details/age at death?

Famous for offering help & advice

1939 address for Edith Eleanor 16/1/1900 & Thomas Griffiths 13/11/1897.Gardener.

8 Meiford ,Denbigh.

7 people in the household only other record open is Enid Cornett 5/11/1911. Married

Possible death reg.

EDITH ELEANOR GRIFFITHS 1900
    Death quarter 4 1977
    Glyndwr
    County Denbighshire
    Vol24 pg0440

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    1939 address for Edith Eleanor 16/1/1900 & Thomas Griffiths 13/11/1897.Gardener.

8 Meiford ,Denbigh.

7 people in the household only other record open is Enid Cornett 5/11/1911. Married

Possible death reg.

EDITH ELEANOR GRIFFITHS 1900
    Death quarter 4 1977
    Glyndwr
    County Denbighshire
    Vol24 pg0440
    Excellent.
    The address matches the address recorded against William A Powell, sailing for Melbourne, on the poster's other thread (recorded as "Meiford" in the ships manifest - should read "Meifod"). Now have birth info. to work with (though may not fit deaths posted at #1?)

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Note the DoB on '39 register

National School Admission Register

School - Henllan Board School
    No. on Register - 401
    Date of Admission - 18/01/1904
    Name - Edith Ellen Jones
    Parent/Guardian - Edith Ann Jones, address - 4 Cross Foxes Yard
    Date of Birth - 16/01/1900
    Last School - Denbigh Catholic
    Date of Leaving - Left district (Denbigh) 14/3/1907

There are other school records for Edith that link tantalisingly to 1901 and 1911 Census entries for an Edith Ellen Jones of the right age. More work needed.

I hope your Edith Eleanor turns out to be Edith Ellen after reading this
    https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...70/3772573/23/
    Check out col 3 - Infant School.
    A model child.

I appreciate I've pinned my colours to an Edith ELLEN Jones as wife of Thomas Griffiths (in the absence of a birth cert for Elizabeth Eleanor) but following the DoB match of 16/01/1900 for your Edith Eleanor (Surname unknown) and Edith Ellen Jones -

Lenten Pool National School, Denbigh

3 records for an Edith E Jones, DoB 16/01/1900. The parent/guardian is either Edwin (no surname recorded) or Edwin Jones, address 78 Henllan Street.

1901 Census
    41 Henllan Street, Denbigh
    Edwin Foulkes, Head, Marr, age 34, General Labourer, born Llandyrnog
    Elizabeth Ann Jones, visitor, marr, age 32, born Denbigh
    Edith Ellen Jones, Dau, age 1, born Denbigh
    John Edward Foulkes, nephew, age 10, born Denbigh

Three of the above 4 are together on the 1911 Census (unable to post details - policy) which makes very interesting reading.

Edwin (a fairly unusual forename) provides a link. However, at post #7 Edith Ann Jones is parent/guardian not Elizabeth Ann Jones - a clerical error possibly.

The plot thickens.

I've been checking out "Bryn Gwenyn". It's a genuine name but I cannot find a farm of that name in that locale.
    The ship's manifest shows "8 Meiford Ave", the 1939 Register "8 Meifod". This is a side by side map of Meifod as was and as is -
    https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...&right=BingHyb

Note "Bryn y Garn"

This 1967 map has "Bryn y Garn Farm" on "Meifod"
    https://old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/302669/368452/12100954

What's the source of the farm name "Bryn Gwenyn" - document? family lore?

NOTE - the URL is delivering the Search screen, so -

Put henllan in "Town" - hit "Search"
    Select "Henllan - Denbighshire"
    Tab down old maps in left hand column and select 1967.

pob lwc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast