Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Winifred Morton or Baillie m John A Watson

Hi all thank you for allowing me to join. I am looking for any info on Winifred Morton or Baillie whom married John Allan Watson. She was engaged in active war and was in th A.T.S in Edinburgh can anyone help find any info on her including her service no?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post, as the info I require is my partners Grandmother, we lost my father in-law on Easter Sunday, we know he was placed in care in 1944 at Wallhouse in Torphican West Lothian.

All help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you an kind regards
    Gill and Ali

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    I'm slightly confused - Are Winifred & John your partner's Grandparents? What was your Father in Law's name?

Scotlands People has a marriage certificate listed for John Allan Watson and Winfred Morton in 1942 in Edinburgh. Also for the bride's name as Baillie. I can't get more information than that without buying more credits, but you can do that yourself. It will give you the parents on both sides, among other things.

There is also a marriage for a Winifred Morton to Malcolm Baillie in 1936 in Newington (Edinburgh). Is this likely to be her? If it is, then I think that I have found her birth registration in 1918 in St Peter (Dundee) (she's the only Winifred Morton born between 1900-1920). If you get the certificate from SP, it will tell you who her parents were, and when and where they married.

I can't find out what happened to Malcolm. I have checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database, and death registrations in Scotland, England and Wales. The 1942 wedding certificate should tell you whether she was a bride or divorced. Maybe he died abroad.

There is information about the Scotlands People website HERE. Once you have registered, you can search their indexes for free (that's how I found the info above) but you have to pay a smallish charge (via their credits ) to download the actual certificates. The site is HERE.
    I see that you are in Scotland - if you are in or near Edinburgh, the cheapest option is a day ticket - you pay for the day ticket, but then can see any and all certificates, church registrations, etc, without a further charge. You do have to pay if you want a printout of a certificate, but a pencil and notebook works just as well.

PS There is another Winifred Morton in the right(ish) age range, born 1894 in Dundee. She seems less likely, but a check of the marriage certificate with John Alaan will confirm the names of her parents.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have all 3 marriage certs for Winifred an Malcom and John Allan and Annie I also have their divorce rec too I have Winifreds B an D certificates I have John Allan watsons birth cert just his death cert..
    But i came on here to see if anyone can find Winifreds A.T.S Rank and her service number.

Thank you for your help Ali an I greatly appreciate you pointing us in the right direction

Kindest regards
    Gill an Ali

Service records from 1921 onwards are still held by the MoD. You can apply for them at a cost of 30 pounds and will also have to provide a copy of the death certificate. You do not need to provide a service number if you know the correcr date of birth. Here is the government site where you can read all about who can apply and what information will be given depending on who is applying and how long the person has been deceased.

The National Archives guide about women in the British army is here.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs