Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSharon View Post
    Hi Jill, I'am a bit overwelmed by the kindness and help i find here on this forum. Thank you very very much for your help i appreciate it and i think it brings me a bit further on my search. I'll keep you informed if i find out more.
    Kind Regards
    JOhn

JOHN I appreciate you thanking me. I felt guilty if I didn't try to help as you said how the two people you are trying to find information for died fighting for our Freedom. I am trying to make further enquiries but thanks to COVID-19 most places are shut.

It would be a help if someone would kindly find the 1911 census for the family to hopefully give names of siblings for John William which might help to find living relatives - although I know one can't post their details on B Gen.

John's birth registrationName:Mother's Maiden Surname: ROE, JOHN WILLIAM WIGLEY GRO Reference: 1918 M Quarter in ASHBOURNE Volume 07B Page 1100

The Probate for the Father:John William Roe of Clifton, Ashbourne, Derbyshire. Died 22nd February 1934. Admin Nottingham 10 April to Annie Hughes (wife of George Henry Hughes) Effects £316 5s.

I found the following birth which might well be a sister for son John WilliamROE, ANNIE WIGLEY GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in ASHBOURNE Volume 07B Page 741

I can't find Probate for the Mother which might give further clues.

Death of parents:
    Name:Age at Death (in years): ROE, JOHN WILLIAM 59 GRO Reference: 1934 M Quarter in ASHBOURNE Volume 07B Page 845ROE, ESTHER FANNY 63 GRO Reference: 1938 D Quarter in ASHBOURNE Volume 07B Page 696

Jill
    I seem to have made rather a mess of this posting but it's the thought that counts!

Loves to help with queries

The 1911 Census record shows John William Roe as a Signalman on the Railway. John & Esther are recorded as Married for 9 Years. They have 2 daughters Beatrice born 1903 & Annie born 1909. It also says that they have had 3 children, 2 still living. Daughter Mary Elizabeth was born in 1905 but sadly died in 1906. Another daughter was born in 1911 called Phyllis, and then John William was born in 1918.

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen. No worries about your English - it's excellent.
    On the 1939 register John William Roe is living with his sister Beatrice in Clifton, Ashbourne R.D. His occupation is given as "Corset Cutter".
    There is every possibility he worked here
    https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-...cdd000060.html
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A fountain of knowledge

GARDEN PEST 29 Thanks so much for posting details of the 1911 census which is a great help.

HELACHAU Thanks for the info from the 1939 Register and for the article about where John William might have worked.

JOHN/SHARON
    You now have the basic information on John William's family. Without wishing to interfere, in my humble opinion, the best way
    for you to try to find living descendants (although details of those living can't be posted on here)is to alter the heading and create a new one with the surname/s of those you are interested in.That way others looking for their relatives will search by surname. For example ROE/DALE KILLED IN WW2.
    If you wish to do that and seek advice from a Moderator ie someone who will alter the heading for you, you merely click on reply and ask a MOD to change.
    Let us know if any developments!Best wishes Jill

A fountain of knowledge

JOHN/SHARON
    In my posting No. 11 I said "I am trying to make further enquiries but thanks to COVID-19 most places are shut"
    I made contact with someone who helped by asking around "in the Village" and said that John William Roe didn't have children.That made me realise I had overlooked seeing if he had in fact married. The only marriage I could find was Marriages Sep 1935 burton upon trent staffs/derbyshire

Roe John W to Minshall Doris : Burton 6b1090
    However having found that possible marriage I was then told by the same person that in fact John married Ada and that Doris was her sister. I can't find that marriage though.
    However since there were no children and your initial enquiry was to lay flowers on his grave and to hopefully find descendants, that that is as far as one can go - or should I say as far as I can go!Best wishes Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gardenpest29 View Post
    The 1911 Census record shows John William Roe as a Signalman on the Railway. John & Esther are recorded as Married for 9 Years. They have 2 daughters Beatrice born 1903 & Annie born 1909. It also says that they have had 3 children, 2 still living. Daughter Mary Elizabeth was born in 1905 but sadly died in 1906. Another daughter was born in 1911 called Phyllis, and then John William was born in 1918.
    Thanks a lot for your help
    Kind Regards
    John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A very warm welcome to Brit-gen. No worries about your English - it's excellent.
    On the 1939 register John William Roe is living with his sister Beatrice in Clifton, Ashbourne R.D. His occupation is given as "Corset Cutter".
    There is every possibility he worked here
    https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-...cdd000060.html
    Thanks for yor help.
    Kind Regards
    John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    JOHN/SHARON
    In my posting No. 11 I said "I am trying to make further enquiries but thanks to COVID-19 most places are shut"
    I made contact with someone who helped by asking around "in the Village" and said that John William Roe didn't have children.That made me realise I had overlooked seeing if he had in fact married. The only marriage I could find was Marriages Sep 1935 burton upon trent staffs/derbyshire

Roe John W to Minshall Doris : Burton 6b1090
    However having found that possible marriage I was then told by the same person that in fact John married Ada and that Doris was her sister. I can't find that marriage though.
    However since there were no children and your initial enquiry was to lay flowers on his grave and to hopefully find descendants, that that is as far as one can go - or should I say as far as I can go!Best wishes Jill
    Thank you once again/
    Kind Regards
    John

A fountain of knowledge

JOHN/SHARON
    Thanks - I don't think I made myself clear as when I said I had overlooked seeing if John William Roe
    had married I meant the son and not the Father.
    So have you put flowers on his grave?! Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    JOHN/SHARON
    Thanks - I don't think I made myself clear as when I said I had overlooked seeing if John William Roe
    had married I meant the son and not the Father.
    So have you put flowers on his grave?! Jill
    Hi Jill,
    Next week we are going to visit the graves of our two English Servicemen. A few days ago we went to Henri-Chapelle War Cemetery in Belgium were we put flowers on the grave of two Americains of whom we adopted graves. We are also busy finding their relatives and yesterday i posted a letter to a neice of one of the Americains, i really hope to get a reply. Today I'am going to try to get more information about the English Soldiers. I"ll start by contacting Alb Beard who photographed the memorial of John William Roe at the church in Clifton.
    If i hear something i'll let you know.
    Kind Regards
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast