Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Thumbs up Where/When Thomas Hughes Dies

Been stuck on this for ages.Thomas Hughes Born about 1869 Mold, Flintshire.
    In 1911, Head, 41, Married 16 years(I've not found the Marriage however), Miner Hewer,Flints
    Esther, Wife, 40, Yorkshire.
    William, 15, Banksman.
    Frances Georgina, 13.
    Thomas, 10.
    Dorothy, 8.
    Sarah, 6.
    Esther Ellen, 4.
    Address is 7, Beech Grove Terrace, Garforth.
    In 1912 West Yorks Electoral Register still at same address but not found in later registers.(District is Barkston Ash).
    Not found anywhere else, but Deceased when dau Frances G marries Richard Holland on 13 Jun 1916, in Walsall.
    "Wife" Esther whose Birth Name was Coope, gives Birth to Louisa Littlewood on 24 Aug 1912 in Clowne, Derbyshire.So has separated from Thomas probably as he died.
    Should mention that Ancestry data pages 364/5 of Q2 1911 missing in Deaths.
    All help gratefully received.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

I haven't found a marriage yet for Thomas and Esther but whilst looking I took a look at the GRO index for the births of their children William and Frances Georgina. The mother's maiden name given is Cooper however I think I may have fund why we can't find a marriage. There is a marriage of an Esther Coope to a Henry Littlewood 11 Nov 1889 St Thomas, Brampton, Derbyshire.
    They are together in the 1891 census in the Hill household
    RG12 Piece 2765 Folio 15 page
    Brampton, Derbyshire
    John Hill 29
    Alice Hill 30
    John Wm Hill 7
    Ernest A Hill 4
    Fred Hill 2
    Hy Littlewood 28 Labourer born Brampton
    Esther Littlewood 19 Yorkshire
    Emma Littlewood 8 months Brampton

This is Emma's baptism
    Emma Coop Littlewood
    Birth Date -1 Aug 1890
    Baptised 4 Dec 1890
    At St Thomas, Brampton, Derbyshire, England
    Father Henry Littlewood
    Mother Esther
    FHL Film 1751975

And her burial
    Emma Cope Littlewood
    Age 2
    Birth Year - about 1891
    Burial Date -18 May 1893
    Burial Place - Ashover, Derbyshire,

I can't see a death for Henry Littlewood as yet so did he die or did they separate after the death of their daughter? There is no marriage of a Thomas Hughes to an Esther Littlewood either so maybe they just never got married.

Have to leave this for now. Others will be along with their thoughts I'm sure
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Hi found your tree on Ancestry could he have gone back to Wales as I found this death

Name: Thomas Hughes
    Death Age: 66
    Birth Date: abt 1869
    Registration Date: Apr 1935
    [May 1935]
    [Jun 1935]
    Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
    Registration district: Holywell
    Inferred County: Flintshire
    Volume: 11b
    Page: 265

also Childrens Mothers Maiden name is either Cooper or Coope might be because persons acent when recording the records

Growing old Disgracefully

1901 census has Thomas and Ester with children
    Hilda L
    William
    Frances Georgina

Births Sep 1890
    Littlewood, Emma Cope, Chesterfield, 7b 664
    MMN Cope.

Settling in

Thanks for this.I looked at my Ancestry tree again and in 1901 Thomas Hughes and Esther hughes eldest child is Hilda L Hughes aged 6.No prizes for guessing that L stands for Littlewood.But still looking for clues to what happened to Thomas Hughes.

Settling in

That looks quite possible, thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

Which is your ancestor? Is it Frances Georgina? Do you have the birth certificate? What does it say?

Settling in

Thomas Hughes is my Sister-in-Law's Gt Grandfather,Censuses state born Mold, Flints.I'm not inclined to buy up about 8 possible Birth Certs within a 1 year range, it being a very common name in Wales.I'm more interested in where he died.I guess Frances could have said her Father was died at her Marriage in 1916 to save having to explain that her Mom had split with him, and so Sandyhall's suggestion that he lived on to 1935 could be correct.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

Thomas Hughes is a very common name unfortunately. So finding a death and saying for certain it is him could be difficult.

Has anyone considered that he may have served in WW1? Being a miner, they were used to dig tunnels that would allow our forces to creep up on the enemy lines and blow up their tunnels. You may think he was too old but he did have the skills needed for this activity. Maybe he didn't survive it?

That might also give credence to Esther having two more children in 1912 and 1917 (not Thomas's according to the tree I saw on Ancestry).

My own Gt Grandfather served in WW1 and he was born in 1875! He was a farrier so another valuable occupation needed at the time. He didn't serve long due to his health, but he did survive it.

Incidentally I believe Hilda is the child of Henry Littlewood (GRO birth: Hilda Littlewood, Dec qtr 1894, Chesterfield, 7b, 703 (Coope)). If she was Thomas's surely they would have dropped her middle initial of 'L' recorded on the 1901 census?

Sue

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post

I can't see a death for Henry Littlewood as yet so did he die or did they separate after the death of their daughter? There is no marriage of a Thomas Hughes to an Esther Littlewood either so maybe they just never got married.
    The address in 1891 was Waspnest, Brampton, and Henry Littlewood was still there in 1898 as he was in the newspapers charged with causing a nuisance by not removing the contents of an ashpit.

By 1901 he looks to be a boarder at 1 Barker Lane, Halls Row, Chesterfield, and claims to be single. In 1911 he is lodging in Brampton, again claiming to be single.

Doesn't help find Thomas Hughes but explains the lack of a marriage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast