Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Yes, it has crossed my mind that he served in WW1.I agree that hilda wasnt Thomas's and most likely Henry Littlewood's.

Settling in

Could I have those emailed as attachments to jr_stanley1958 {at} hotmail.com please?Many thanks.Jon
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 22-06-2020 at 7:55 PM. Reason: email address inactivated as per our TOC

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by jr_stanley1958 View Post
    Could I have those emailed as attachments to jr_stanley1958 {at} hotmail.com please?Many thanks.Jon
    Its not clear who you are directing this request to, or what you want emailing.

Henry Littlewood may have remarried in 1918 in Chesterfield to Catherine Cox, although the Littlewood/Cox children appear to have been born in Rotherham between 1911 and 1914, including twins Beatrice & Lily who died in July 1911 within 36 hours of birth. There are various newspaper reports about Henry failing to pay maintenance, having apparently left her around May 1918 with children aged 6 & 4 (Belper News 21 June 1918). He had been discharged from the army and she had lived with him for 5 years prior to enlistment. The newspaper reports say she was now in Tapton and he in Rotherham. If its the correct couple then they must have been together for 5 years, had 4 children, then married, and then split up almost immediately afterwards!

There is an army record for a Henry Littlewood aged 46, service number 111633, enlisted 1915, residence Chesterfield. He was discharged unfit in April 1918.

There is a death in Rotherham in 1926 of Henry Littlewood aged 60.

Although the ages mean his YoB fluctuates a bit, I think it may well be the Henry from the 1891 census, married to Esther. I think he was also in the newspapers for cruelty to a horse, with references to previous similar charges.

ADDED: should have mentioned that Beatrice & Lily were buried in Brampton

Settling in

My request for email was for the Newspaper Article about the Ashpit in 1898, but feel free to send anything anyone has found.However, please focus on the main Brickwall which is where Thomas Hughes went post 1912.Thanks.Guess I just have to wait for the 1921 to be published.

Knowledgeable and helpful

You might like to ask the Moderators to 'amend' your email to avoid it being picked up by scammers and spammers
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 22-06-2020 at 7:57 PM. Reason: active email inactivated

Settling in

thanks

Settling in

How would I go about searching to find out whether Thomas enlisted for service during WW1?

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Its not clear who you are directing this request to, or what you want emailing.

Henry Littlewood may have remarried in 1918 in Chesterfield to Catherine Cox, although the Littlewood/Cox children appear to have been born in Rotherham between 1911 and 1914, including twins Beatrice & Lily who died in July 1911 within 36 hours of birth. There are various newspaper reports about Henry failing to pay maintenance, having apparently left her around May 1918 with children aged 6 & 4 (Belper News 21 June 1918). He had been discharged from the army and she had lived with him for 5 years prior to enlistment. The newspaper reports say she was now in Tapton and he in Rotherham. If its the correct couple then they must have been together for 5 years, had 4 children, then married, and then split up almost immediately afterwards!

There is an army record for a Henry Littlewood aged 46, service number 111633, enlisted 1915, residence Chesterfield. He was discharged unfit in April 1918.

There is a death in Rotherham in 1926 of Henry Littlewood aged 60.

Although the ages mean his YoB fluctuates a bit, I think it may well be the Henry from the 1891 census, married to Esther. I think he was also in the newspapers for cruelty to a horse, with references to previous similar charges.

ADDED: should have mentioned that Beatrice & Lily were buried in Brampton
    How do you know that Beatrice and Lily died within 36 hours?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

My request for email was for the Newspaper Article about the Ashpit in 1898, but feel free to send anything anyone has found.However, please focus on the main Brickwall which is where Thomas Hughes went post 1912.Thanks.Guess I just have to wait for the 1921 to be published.
    Jon, please note that you may not ask people to do anything which causes them to breach the T&Cs of any subscription site to which they belong, which is what you are doing here.

If you want to see the entry then either visit the British Newspaper Archive website, or, if you have a subscription to Findmypast, it will no doubt be available there. (Only the most recent additions to the BNA aren't available on FMP.) I believe that when you initially register on BNA the first three downloads are free.
    I'm not sure if the newspaper articles are available via the free access to FMP through membership of your local library.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Jon, please note that you may not ask people to do anything which causes them to breach the T&Cs of any subscription site to which they belong, which is what you are doing here.

If you want to see the entry then either visit the British Newspaper Archive website, or, if you have a subscription to Findmypast, it will no doubt be available there. (Only the most recent additions to the BNA aren't available on FMP.) I believe that when you initially register on BNA the first three downloads are free.
    I'm not sure if the newspaper articles are available via the free access to FMP through membership of your local library.

Pam
    Ok, I'll bear your comments in mind in future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast