Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burial place

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Burial place

Hello
    Very new to this forum so please excuse any errors I might make.
    I have been trying to find where my Husbands Grandfather is buried for over 2 years now.
    We have his death certificate but try as I might I cannot find where he was buried.
    He died in a hospital in Greenwich London but actually lived in Peckham London.
    Name is Thos Alfred Woodcock died on 20th December 1937.
    I have been trying on Deceased on line since I joined which was 2018 but no luck at all.
    If anyone could advise where else I might look I would be extremely grateful.
    Thank you

Super Moderator

Default Burial

Quote Originally Posted by Rclair View Post
    Hello
    Very new to this forum so please excuse any errors I might make.
    I have been trying to find where my Husbands Grandfather is buried for over 2 years now.
    We have his death certificate but try as I might I cannot find where he was buried.
    He died in a hospital in Greenwich London but actually lived in Peckham London.
    Name is Thos Alfred Woodcock died on 20th December 1937.
    I have been trying on Deceased on line since I joined which was 2018 but no luck at all.
    If anyone could advise where else I might look I would be extremely grateful.
    Thank you
    Is this Thomas Alfred Woodcock born 1896/97? If so he was born in Lancashire. There are two baptism entries on on 14/02/1897 at St. John the Evangelist in Deane. Parents John Thomas and Jane Woodcock. The other is on the 17/02/1897 at Farnworth with Kearsley St John the Evangelist. Parents John Thomas and Jane Woodock.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for reply and No
    That is definitely not him.
    He was born 1860 in Lambeth London.
    BUT on his birth certificate he was named Thos A Palmer. Father was named as Joseph Palmer and Mother Ann Woodcock. We are pretty sure there was no marriage between the parents, father just disappeared.
    We have alway had a problem with with Thomas, we found him in later life using the name woodcock and never Palmer.

Super Moderator

Have you seen the tree on Ancestry? There is a Thomas Alfred Woodcock who married Louisa Bond. Mother Cordelia Ann Woodcock, Father Joseph Palmer. This sounds like the same person you are researching. Does the tree belong to you or is there someone else also researching Thomas?

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello Rclair

All I can tell you is where NOT to look - the National Burial Index (3rd edition) doesn't cover London in 1937/1938.

I don't know London well enough to know the areas, but perhaps if you find the graveyards that serve Peckham and/or Greenwich, you could contact those Cemetery Records Offices?

He may have been cremated. Is there a Crematorium Records Office in that area?

Good Luck in your search.
    Jane

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

[QUOTE=suemalings;681437]Have you seen the tree on Ancestry? There is a Thomas Alfred Woodcock who married Louisa Bond. Mother Cordelia Ann Woodcock, Father Joseph Palmer. This sounds like the same person you are researching. Does the tree belong to you or is there someone else also researching Thomas?[/QUOTE

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The tree on Ancestry is not ours but immediate family so we both have all of those details.
    We are stuck on his burial place.
    I have spent ages on Deceased on line I don’t know if there are any other sites that hold these records.
    I am thinking for some reason his death may not have been recorded in the register.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for your reply
    I had thought of cremation but Deceased on Line also include Cremations in their search

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Looking at a map, the nearest cemetery to Peckham would appear to be Nunhead.Wikipedia says that there are graves for servicemen who died in WW2 in the cemetery so presumably ordinary people were still being interred there in 1937, but a call to the cemetery office would clarify that. Looks as if you can go to the office and search the records, which is slightly unusual. Usually cemetery/crematorium offices offices offer to search for you, for a sometimes over-the-top payment.
    https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parks-a...nhead-cemetery

The next-nearest is Brockley and Ladywell cemetery. If you look at a map, Peckham is north-west, Nunhead, south-east, and Brockley is south-east of NUnhead.

Oops! Just spotted that Camberwell New Cemetery (south of Nunhead) might be slightly nearer to Peckham than Brockley. There's an Old and New - do a search engine search for more info. Honor Oak crematorium which is next to the New cemetery wasn't built until 1939 so can be ruled out.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

His death registration is recorded on FreeBMD, which I am sure is where you found your info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast