Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burial place

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

And another oops! Decided to check Deceased Online, and found it already has the records for most of the cemeteries local to the Peckham area.

Have you thought of trying the local newspapers in somewhere like Peckham library once opening restrictions are lifted?

Alternatively, is there a possibility that he might have been buried in Greenwich? Haven't checked for any cemeteries local to there, but there's no listing for London borough of Greenwich in Deceased Online.

ADDED: If he was married, do you know where his wife is buried?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

BTW, it’s worth remembering that gravestones were (are) expensive, and that many have not survived for all sorts of reasons from acid rain to vandals. Many cemeteries are now administered by local councils who keeps what we call in Scotland lair books which records who is where, regardless of whether they had a stone...

Reputation beyond repute

Well have you tried contacting the cemeteries department of Southwark Council? The website states "Genealogy...Search Fee £26"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

We know Nunhead cemetery well as we lived in that area years ago.
    Thos. 2nd wife died in early 1960s and was buried there.
    It’s closed for burials now but open for visiting but that’s not an option for us now.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

No we haven’t but that’s a good option
    Thanks

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

With the research I did last night, I would also go with Peter Goodey's suggestion of Southwark as a burial option.

His mother, Cordelia, was buried there 16 Mar 1909, so a possibilty he was too. Might even share the grave.

1871 census has Cordelia Woodcock (transcribed Woodrick) with Thomas Woodcock (10, son).
    Cordelia was also looking after her three of her 'grandchildren' on the 1901 census. These were Thomas's children from his first marriage. So she did play a big part in his family life.

Thomas and his first wife had seven children from their marriage, with the younger two: Rose Ethel b. 1896 Camberwell & George Ernest b. 1898 Lambeth dying as infants (GRO birth records). Rose died 1896 and George 1899, both Camberwell. So where were they buried? Thomas could be close to them?

I also spotted the family tree mentioned above, and can see that the 1881 census is not listed re Thomas. I found him in Kennington, Surrey (RG11/611/71/25). Thomas Palmer, also with Cordelia Woodcock, in the household of George James and Sarah Ann Pedder.

Sue

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This is most odd as we do not have the info on Rose Ethel and George Ernest, got to check that out now.
    The children we have are:
    Laura Maria Cordelia b1881. d1955
    Louisa Sabina b1884. d1970
    Charles William Alfred b1887 we have never found out when he died. He is still outstanding on our tree
    Lily Eliza Mary b1889 d1980
    Henry Albert b 1893 d 1963

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rclair View Post
    This is most odd as we do not have the info on Rose Ethel and George Ernest, got to check that out now.
    The children we have are:
    Laura Maria Cordelia b1881. d1955
    Louisa Sabina b1884. d1970
    Charles William Alfred b1887 we have never found out when he died. He is still outstanding on our tree
    Lily Eliza Mary b1889 d1980
    Henry Albert b 1893 d 1963
    It's very easy to miss children who were born and then died between censuses.
    By the biggest stroke of luck (I was looking for something else) I found my great-grandparents had had three children this had happened to. I've now learnt that I need to go back and check all my families on the GRO's own website which records mother's maiden name from the beginning of civil registration not just from September quarter 1911 as per the original GRO Index.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Just a thought - my English grandmother died in London in 1978 (I live in America). We searched and searched for her grave for years. Finally got a tip that she was buried in one of three cemeteries in London that are used for "pauper's graves" - no actual headstone just a field with markers inside a cemetery. We were given the names of Islington/St. Pancras and I believe Highgate Cemetery in north London. We went to Islington/St.Pancras and searched in huge books using the date of death. We were very lucky and found the name in the first book. I would imagine if you are unlucky you would spend quite a bit of time searching through each book, as this information is not online. Finding that name and visiting the grave is beyond special, we visit the UK every few years and always visit the grave. Best of luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12