Brick wall demolition expert!

Default What was a car in 1820

I am just doing a little bit of research and have come across an article about a woman who was sentenced to a long term in prison for stealing a car cover. This was in Liverpool in 1820, so I wondered what a car was?

A fountain of knowledge

hi
    in general terms motor cars were invented in the late 1800's , so , CAR may be a carriage , cart ,
    D

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

The term was used for steam driven vehicles in the 18th Century. Whether or not Halfords (other accessory stores are available) sold covers for them is lost in the mists of time, so in this case the term "car" may have an entirely different meaning. Sorry this morning's FH research came to a grinding halt .
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Reputation beyond repute

Car = carriage, cart or wagon.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I think Car was the early form of taxi/hire car. Aris Birmingham Gazette in 1827 records an advert for a Car Office run by Ann Bacon in Livery St. She states that she can provide cars and horses equivalent to anyone in the trade, and can cater for large parties with Landaus,no other car proprietor having more than one, which can be hired by the distance or for any length of time required