Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burial

Settling in

The 1939 Register has a Louisa May Mealing (housewife) born 24 Sept 1899 living with her husband Richard Redrick Mealing (lorry driver) at 197 Kensal Road, Kensington. To order her death certificate from the GRO you need to use the following information: Louisa M Mealing. Death registered in Q3 July, August, September 1940 in the Registration District of Kensington Volume 1a Page 178. This is very close to Kensal Green Cemetery.

The 1939 register has..

197 Kensal Rd, Kensington
    Louisa M Mealing birth date 24 Sept 1899, also in the property Richard R Mealing 25 Oct 1899 and three closed records.

A louisa M Mason married Richard R Mealing in 1933 (Paddington reg. district)

I haven't found a birth for a Louisa M Mason Sept - Dec qrt's 1899 which could suggest Mason wasn't her birth surname, perhaps her marriage to Richard Mealing was a second marriage.

I found four births for: Mealing mother's maiden name LATHBURY in Kensington and Paddington 1934 - 1939 but all were boys.

OK, she could have been born Louisa May Lathbury and married a chap called Mason and if so your friend's mother may be a daughter of this first marriage.

A William Samuel MASON married Louisa M LATHBURY 19th Sept 1920 at All Saints Islington.

I have no idea if I'm on the right track but if I am it seems to point to the death in 1940 Peter posted @ #5 and whytebyker @#11.
    Alma

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

I have also found the same information as Alma, so think this is definately your Louisa.

Louisa may Lathbury was baptised 09/11/1898 Hackney Dalston, St Bartholomew. Parents John Henry & Annie Frances Lathbury (address 20 Carsford St) so that means her age on 1939 register is a little out (1 year).

Louisa's first marriage (1920, and still living at 20 Carsford St) to William Samuel Mason, did result in four children: 2 daughters and 2 sons (mmn Lathbury). Incidentally William Samuel Mason lived next door at 19 Carsford St!

Then when she married Richard R Mealing (1933), she had another four children - all sons (mmn Lathbury).
    They may all still be living so no names given I'm afraid.

As Alma says Kensal Green Cemetery is the nearest location to her abode 1939 and her death is recorded Kensington too. Of course she could have had a cremation herself in which maybe no grave?
    The cemeteries website (www.kensalgreencemetery.com) says it's office is closed due to Covid-19 and protecting of staff. But can be contacted via phone or email. Phone is: 020 8969 0152 Email: you have to go to website and click a link. On no account approach cemetery staff if you go down there.

Good luck!

Sue
    Last edited by SueP; 19-06-2020 at 9:19 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Sorry 'Alma' should be 'Almach'. Ah, both references are correct!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I initially thought there was something weird going on, but think I've solved it except for one birth registration which I can only explain as incorrect maiden name given when the birth was registered.

If you search for a marriage for a Richard Mealing 1910-1950 there are two entries in the GRO Index.
    One in 1933 to Louisa M Mason, and one in 1945 to Rose A Mason. In both cases Richard has a middle initial of R, and they were in Paddington registration district.

Following the theory of Lousia M Mason being a widow/divorcee when she married Richard, she was born Lathbury, and as such had four children, all boys, three births registered in Kensington, and the fourth allegedly in Paddington though the page number and registration district don't match up.
    It looks as if the eldest child, John R (who died 2005) has been evacuated to Trowbridge in 1939.

Meanwhile, if you search for Mealing/Mason births,(which is what I instinctively did after after a Mealing/Mason marriage in 1933) there's a boy in 1933, registered Paddington); a girl initially registered 1942 and then re-registered 1947; another girl 1946 and then three boys in 1950. 1952, and 1955.

Meanwhile, phase two, and back to the Mason/Lathbury marriage and births. Girls born in 1922, 1928, and 1930 with a boy in 1924, all Paddington registration district. Looks as if we're on the right track with the Louisa Lathbury/Mason/Mealing connection because there's an Irene Mason born 1930 living in the same household in Trowbridge in 1939 as John Mealing born 1934.

One of the girls born to the Mason/Lathbury was Rose A. L. so my theory is that after Louisa died Richard then married his stepdaughter, and the births from 1942 onwards relate to this relationship.

The one birth registration still confusing me is the one in September quarter 1933, Paddington registration district. If he's Richard and Louisa's child then his mother's maiden name should be Lathbury, not Mason.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Fromm ancestry.co.uk I have found the following information in a well documented family tree.

Louisa May Lathbury married William Samuel Mason. They had four children, Rose, Billie, Doris and Irene. William died in 1929. Louisa then married Richard Redrick Mealing. It does not appear that they had children. Sadly Louisa died fairly soon after their marriage. Richard Redrick Mealing then married Louisa’s daughter Rose. It appears they had three children.

Quote Originally Posted by whytebyker View Post
    Fromm ancestry.co.uk I have found the following information in a well documented family tree.

Louisa May Lathbury married William Samuel Mason. They had four children, Rose, Billie, Doris and Irene. William died in 1929. Louisa then married Richard Redrick Mealing. It does not appear that they had children. Sadly Louisa died fairly soon after their marriage. Richard Redrick Mealing then married Louisa’s daughter Rose. It appears they had three children.
    The 'no children' and 'Louisa died fairly soon after their marriage' doesn't fit with the evidence found in this thread. (Well, I wouldn't call call seven years 'fairly soon'.) So, although there may well be lots of information in that family tree it might be a bit of a stretch to call it well-documented.

Pam

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The 'no children' and 'Louisa died fairly soon after their marriage' doesn't fit with the evidence found in this thread. (Well, I wouldn't call call seven years 'fairly soon'.) So, although there may well be lots of information in that family tree it might be a bit of a stretch to call it well-documented.

Pam
    Hi Pam

Thank you for that reality slap Feel free to check Joe Mealing's information. I was just sharing what I felt was a good find as the tree owner is a direct descendant.

https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/100771017/family/familyview?cfpid=250006082127

I did go back to see if there might be a child born to Richard Mealing and Louisa May Mason - and sure enough there is a record for a birth recorded Q3 1933, the year they married. The child is Edward R Mealing, born in Paddington. I checked FreeBMD but could not find any other children.

G
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 20-06-2020 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Direct link to commercial company broken in accordance with our T&Cs.

Quote Originally Posted by whytebyker View Post
    Hi Pam

Thank you for that reality slap Feel free to check Joe Mealing's information. I was just sharing what I felt was a good find as the tree owner is a direct descendant.

https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/100771017/family/familyview?cfpid=250006082127

I did go back to see if there might be a child born to Richard Mealing and Louisa May Mason - and sure enough there is a record for a birth recorded Q3 1933, the year they married. The child is Edward R Mealing, born in Paddington. I checked FreeBMD but could not find any other children.

G
    If you checked for children with a Mealing surname, and mother's maiden name of Mason, you'll get the same answer I initially did. Edward born in 1933, and then more born 1942 onwards which would be impossible if Louisa died in 1940.
    Remember Louisa's maiden name was not Mason. It was Lathbury, so that's the maiden name you have to enter into FreeBMD.

Always view family trees anywhere (but especially on Ancestry) with suspicion. I know someone who has what appears to be a 'well-researched' tree but who included my great-grandfather who died in 1869 as the father of two children born later and quite a way from his home town. My cousin was stupid enough to blindly copy this information into his tree instead of (a) doing his own research to verify the information and/or (b) asking me what I knew about great-grandad.

Pam

Can i please thank everyone who has taken part in my enquiry about Louisa .My friend has found out she is buried in Islington.my friend found the info very interesting and is now going further into his family tree.So i will bring this thread to a close and once again thank everyone for your help.Greyhound

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast