Knowledgeable and helpful

Default New Zealand BDM records

How is it possible to search BDM records in a way that will allow for variation in the spelling of the family name?

I am looking for the baptism of Clara Rashleigh, b c 1885, daughter of John and Priscilla. I have found her 5 siblings, and her marriage in 1912.

Hi brentor boy,

There's a tree on Ancestry which has Clara's birth as 4 Aug 1885, Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand.

Using that information I searched for Clara, no surname, born Palmerston 1885 +/- 2 years but no birth was presented with a similar name to Rashleigh.
    Alma

Thanks, Almach.
    I had found the record you quote and I wanted to use it as a learning exercise in the use of BDM. Seems she is not to be found, but how did you go about your search?

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    Thanks, Almach.
    I had found the record you quote and I wanted to use it as a learning exercise in the use of BDM. Seems she is not to be found, but how did you go about your search?
    I have Ancestry World and was able to search via New Zealand BMD's, I entered only Clara, no surname and searched 1885 +/- 2yrs.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I have Ancestry World and was able to search via New Zealand BMD's, I entered only Clara, no surname and searched 1885 +/- 2yrs.
    Thank you.

Hi
    I used the NZ BDM's, chose search, births, entered only the surname Rashleigh. 01/01/1875 = 31/12/1895 and got nine results none of which were in 1885 and none with the first name Clara. To John and Priscilla there are 5 birth registrations Anne in 1877, Joseph 1879, George 1880 Rose 1883 and May Cecilia 1887.
    I have always taken it that the birth registration number is the year of registration being the first part of the number eg for George it is 1880/12900 but I think I once read somewhere that that isn't always the case. I haven't followed that up.
    https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home

The parents have registered the other children so why not Clara?

Clara is in the 1911 electoral roll at Oroua, Manawatu, a spinster. 1912 is her marriage to Claude Albert Jones.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks, Christina. If you cannot find her, I guess she's not to be found. Strange.

This is her marriage on Paperspastbut no help with parent's names, however she would have been the third daughter of John and Priscilla as reported and Joseph Henry is her brother. There are other articles about her teaching qualifications and one where a landlady is suing her for unpaid rent.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs