Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Hello Christanel

Thank you for looking into John Strudwicks life, it's interesting what you have found for me, although I'm not to sure about the Pink connection!
    There is a marriage Bann for Johns marriage to Francis Chandler on Ancestry and FamilySearch.
    I'm somewhat confused, am I missing something...

Kind regards
    Tom

Hi Tom
    The Pink surname came in to the puzzle when Pam went searching on the GRO index for the birth registration of John and Frances Strudwick's child James Strudwick age 1. If his birth was registered it should have his mother's maiden name (mmn) as Chandler but the only one that showed up was this one James Strudwick, December quarter 1839 Guildford registration district, mother's maiden name Pink.

As birth registration did not become compulsory and the responsibility of the parents until 1874 his birth may not have been registered and the John Strudwick marriage to Frances Chandler is your couple. But to eliminate the above birth registration it would be good if we could find a marriage of another male Strudwick to a female Pink to which this James Strudwick belongs.

Now I have tied myself up in knots I will leave it for a while.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Tomm

The baptism you started with that resulted in John Strudwick and Francis being parents, is that definitely a match for your family? I ask as you seem a bit confused re the help/results so far.

I'm also just asking as I found a baptism of: James Strudwick, 26 Feb 1837, Capel, Surrey (so too early for a birth registration). Parents John Strudwick and Susannah. James's occupation is shoemaker.

I have done further research with finding: James and Susannah (nee Sayer) marriage: 18 Jan 1832, Lambeth St Mary, Surrey.

1841, 1861 and 1871 census has Susanna recorded as SUSAN Strudwick. John does not appear on these with her, just some children. She had at least eight over the years, but not all on the GRO records (that I can find!).

The 1851 DOES have John with Susan and five of the children, but has been transcribed as 'Hardwick'. John's occupation has changed to 'cordwainer'. It is the same family as the 1841 census though.

Children are:
    John baptised 27 Jan 1833, Capel (not on any census with parents, possibly died young?).
    William baptised 1 Feb 1835, born 7 Jan 1835.
    James baptised 1837, Capel. (as above)
    Susan born Sep qtr 1839, Dorking, 4, 93 (Sayer) - one found in the GRO births!
    Sarah born approx 1843 (aged 8 on 1851c)
    Mary born approx 1846 (aged 5 on 1851c)
    Elizabeth born approx 1849 (aged 2 on 1851c)
    Louisa born 1851 (aged 9 on 1861c)and GRO ref = Dec qtr 1851, Dorking, 4, 148 (Sayers)

I may have wasted my time on this but this is where 'my' gut feeling led me!

Sue

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

With reference to the above post James Strudwick's baptism 1837:
    'James's occupation is shoemaker' should read 'John's occupation is shoemaker'(the father).

Sorry

Sue

Starting to feel at home

Hi Christanel

Thank you so much for all your help, as always it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Tom

Starting to feel at home

Hello SueP

Thank you for taking the time to research and help me, it gives me more to look at and with a different view.

Your help is also very much appreciated...

Kind regards
    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12