Geoff1959

Default Bloodhound SAGW Scorpion and Firelight

Good morning everyone.
    Is there anyone that can help with information about the deployment of Bloodhound missiles in East Anglia in the 1960's. Between April 1961 and December 1963 dad was posted to 3 RAF stations in East Anglia. RAF Feltwell, RAF Trimmingham and RAF Neatishead.
    I know that whilst at Feltwell he was part of 721SU who ran the Methwold Bomb plot. One of several that were used for training V force bomber crews. Research has shown that V bombers were stationed at RAF Marham (12m SE of Kings Lynn) and at RAF Honnington (6m S of Thetford). I have recently found Dad's "Trade Record" booklet. This shows his progression from "Fighter Plotter" to "Air Defence Operator" but interestingly specifically mentions SAM. The only SAM that I know of at the time was the Bloodhound Mk1. During the early 60's there were some major developments in radar and increased range resulting in the Bloodhound Mk2. I have found some information on two radar systems used with the bloodhound, Scorpion and Firelight.
    What I would like to know is were Bloodhounds installed on any of the East Anglian RAF stations where V bombers were based? Was Trimmingham a site that had scorpion radar.
    Did Feltwell have any mobile Firelight radar units?
    Any information much appreciated.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you read the Wikipedia page about the Bloodhound (Missile), in particular the Operational Deployments section?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Geoff1959

Thank you Pam, How did I miss that?