Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I presume the record you have is his Seaman's Pouch held at Kew in piece BT 372/880/118 -
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C8272928

The fact that he has a Dis.A number means he did serve in some capacity in the Merchant Navy. The pouch is hit or miss but you really need his service record which begins Jan, 1941 and is held at Kew in piece
    BT 382/1891 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C10990116
    This file should give the names and dates of all the ships he served aboard including ports of engagement and discharge. The file is unfortunately not available online and will need a researcher or visit to Kew to obtain it.
    Regards
    Hugh

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Hugh,

Yes, we have his seaman's pouch. It had two photos of dad in it, various forms but it didn't have the list of ships he was on, that was mysteriously left blank. I had not seen this particular link before. I had got Forces War Records to have a dig around and checking their work I can't see any reference to this archive in that - it was all BT 372.

Another thing that cropped up was that there is some link to the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve that wasn't previously known to our family and that has come up following an anecdote recalled by a relative - references to the "wavy navy" and "filling in due to shortages".

I can't find a lot of references to the RNVR online, or even books dedicated to the RNVR, but in some ways the connection makes sense. I can't see where individual records of the RNVR are kept, but it would be interesting to know where to look.

Best,

Gordon

Hello Gordon,
    Most are probably not aware of the main merchant seamen's service records [called CRS 10] because they are not searchable online. But the CRS 10 is where I would expect his sea service to be recorded on. The Seaman's Pouch [in BT 372] usually records service only prior to 1941 with some exceptions. Also I would expect him to be entitled to campaign medals for WW2. There is no mention in the medal files but this can mean the record no longer survives or that he never claimed them. It would be up to the next of kin to provide that evidence of service which would really require the CRS 10. Was it RNVR or RNR you have some evidence of service? Can you tell me from the Pouch what rank or rating he was?
    Regards
    Hugh

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Hugh,

On his R.S.3 it reads:

Christian Names: David Glen Surname: WATSON

DOB: 28/08/21 Place: Glasgow. Dis. A: R339679.

Rank or Rating: "Jnr. Elect."

N.R. No. SGGB/73/2.

BT 372/0880 Initials: KT Date: 22.2.46.

There are othefr documents in here including:

1. Report of Loss of a British Seaman's Identity Card (Serial No of lost card: BSI148761
    2. Summary of Service (Which is frustratingly empty)
    3. Date of Discharge: "Issued on entry into Merchant Navy Reserve Pool"
    "1st ISS"
    Dated February 1946.
    4. CR1 Card - Rating: Junior Electrician.

The Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve (RNVR)- we have anecdotal family stories attached to this which make it a line of inquiry rather than any primary evidence.

Gordon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12