Thread: Missing grandma

soden55

Default Missing grandma

I'm out of ideas on this one. My husbands mother was raised in a children's home in Victoria Australia and never new her parents. Her 1912 birth certificate said her mother was Kathleen Hickson age 20 born in Melbourne, no father listed. The records from the home had no more details. The only person who matches is Kathleen Hickson born 1893 in Cheltenham Victoria and then appears only in 1914 on the Electoral roll in Tasmania then marries William Richard Duce in 1914 in Tasmania. He continues in the Tasmanian electoral rolls alone, but Kathleen is not listed again. From her parents death notices in Trove we found Kathleen had remarried in NSW in 1931 to Archibald Twigg. The marriage cert said she was a widow but Duce was still alive. Archibald died in 1953 and Kathleen Twigg still appears in the Neutral Bay electoral rolls until 1980. Searched the cemetery where Archibald is buried but Kathleen is not there. Not in the BDM's up to 1990 in NSW or Vic, not listed in the Ryerson Index or in Ancestry trees.
    Any ideas on where else to search. Kathleen would have been 87 in 1980 so think it unlikely she would have married again after almost 30 years of widowhood, or moved away from Sydney. All her siblings in Victoria were dead. If we don't know a death date how can you order a certificate. I don't think she had any children with either husband, so no other family to chase.
    Thanks Louise

Knowledgeable and helpful

Don't discount a re-marriage. My grandmother remarried in December and died in February, near to her 87th birthday. I think she was lonely in her old people's home, as her children lived miles away. pwholt

If she died in a nursing home or hospital, and had no close family, she might have been buried in the cemetery nearest the hospital.

soden55

Yes I have thought about remarriage, her surname could be anything, and also have the same problem, can't access any records, 30 years for deaths and 50 years for marriages. Same brick wall.
    Thank you.

soden55

Kathleen is not buried where her husband was buried or in Victoria with her parents, thought they were the most logical places. On the case searching the cemeteries around Sydney to see if I can find her. I just hope she didn't end up in a nursing home in Newcastle or further afield.
    Thank you.