Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some historical context on Seaforth Highlanders. My great-grandfather James Gowdy was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1907 and joined the Seaforth Highlanders in 1926.

I am finding this a bit unusual as I cannot see any justifiable reason as to why he chose a non-Irish regiment to join which is associated with North Scotland when the Royal Irish Rifles, Fusiliers, Inniskilling etc. were based locally.

Does anyone know if there would have been recruitment at this time in Northern Ireland from Seaforth Highlanders? Although he joined in 1926, this was 5 years after the partition of Ireland. I've tried searching and found nothing about the Seaforth Highlanders being based in Ireland during the Irish War of Independence/Irish Civil War. I did see a mention of a Lieutenant Bruce of the Seaforth Highlanders being shot in Belfast around this time which makes me think there was some sort of presence on the island. I wondering perhaps did he see the regiment about and that inspired him to join. Any opinions/information on this would be welcomed.

His service records show that from 1926 - 1928 he was at home but from 1928 - 1932 he was stationed in India under Indian Service. It refers to a 2nd Bn 146/28 then 3rd Class Dagshai 20/8/28. After this he was stationed in Palestine from 1932 - 1933 then went home. As far as I can see based on his medals awarded he was involved in the North West Frontier campaign. Palestine is less clear.

Is there any good sources for reading about what exactly he was doing and does anyone know what Dagshai is? I assumed it was a place or a regiment in the Indian army. I would be interested in context as to why he was transferred into the Indian army. The service records do state that he attended an army school in India.

He was returned home until 1942 when he rejoined 6th Battalion of Seaforth Highlanders and fought in WWII. There's a historical context for my family which makes sense as I understand that in 1941 that the battalion sustained a large number of casualities fighting in Europe and had to bolster more troops in the battalion. From reading they did this in Northern Ireland and I found photographs of the battalion in Fermanagh training in 1941, coincidentally James and his now family were living very close by to this location.

Personally, when I hear about service in any world war it's focused on Europe. James was fighting in Madagascar, India, Iraq, Middle East generally and British North Africa. Resources are abundant for Europe but would be interested in any reading about his service in those locations, history books or diaries etc.

Apologies this is a lot of questions but felt it best to ask all at once. Any help with these matters is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Joshua