Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

More questions.

Does the book have the names written on alphabetical pages - e.g. Bloggs on a page for B. Smith on a page for S?
    Are most of the names in the same hand-writing, or very much individually written?
    Does the book have a dedication at the front, and if so, what exactly does it say?

I've just noticed that underneath the image you've written Charles Samuel. Do now you think it's definitely Samuel, and if not, could you possibly either repost the image including the ending of the second name, or else post the Charles and second name bit by itself?

Agree with you, that the surname is unikely to be Grisby.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I'm reading it as "Gray" - the "r" is very similar to the "r" in the "George" above. Also, it follows alphabetically from "Goodwin" above. What name follows the mystery name?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

I've found an image of the book at the following site (Image 9/21), where you can also enlarge it and see more of it:

Code:
    https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41198
    I agree that the surname is GRAY, but I suspect you might need to look more widely than WW2.

The book is described as relating to both WW1 and WW2, but I wouldn't be greatly surprised if names from other periods have also been written in, eg Suez, Korea etc. You'll see that the name immediately above, which was also inserted later than the bulk of the entries, has a date of 1923, so was that a delayed death resulting from WW1, or something else? The same might apply to this one.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I read it as Gray, as the names are alphabetical and it and another name have been inserted into the original list. There's a clearer image here: https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41198

A fountain of knowledge

Default grisby - hand writing in rememberance book

Hi Pam

this picture shows the whole page , as you can see the two names have been handwritten in the book , whats interesting, I have just noticed !, is that Goodwins death is May 18th 1923 , so not in the margins of a traditional ww1 ww2 remembrance book.

there are no other notes on these entries in the front or rear of the book .

I think it is Gray as well .

Dean

Mods could you please delete my post. I tried to, as soon as I sent it and saw that someone beat me to it with the info but the site wouldn't let me. It was within a minute.

A fountain of knowledge

hi Sq
    thanks for your help
    dean

A fountain of knowledge

hi A
    yes I agree with you , I have now checked on a casualty list of RN for ww1,inter war,ww2 ,and after , but not Korean ,I will have a look .
    dean

There is mention of a Charles Samuel Gray in the London Gazette in 1942

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    Mods could you please delete my post. I tried to, as soon as I sent it and saw that someone beat me to it with the info but the site wouldn't let me. It was within a minute.
    Sorry, Squaredancer, but your post will remain. Like lots of others which have been posted in the forum over the years giving duplicate information - some of them posted within minutes, sometimes an hour or more apart.
    If nothing else, it's an acknowledgement of your interest in this thread. (Plus your link to the Book of Remembrance is easier to click than arthurk's. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast