Settling in

Smile Ann Robertson Convict transported 1819

have been trying unsuccessfully to find who Ann Robertson was before she was sentenced in Glasgow in 1819 to 7 years transportation. She arrived in Sydney on the Janus in 1820 and married George Tallentire in 1821 at St Philips, Sydney. She received her certificate of freedom in 1826. She died at Hyde Park Asylum in 1871. I think her native place was Edinburgh, so this probably means that she was born there. From what I can make out so far I think she was 23 when she was convicted in 1819. I would love to be able to find out who her parents were and anything else about her life before she was transported to Australia. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    DSAPaton

A fountain of knowledge

hi
    just a quick glance , mainly because I have never looked at the Australian convict side of genealogy etc ,
    on a document on Anc. 'new south wales , convict indent , along side the other details you can just make out in faded handwriting , the ages of the convicts , it looks to me that she was 48 years old when sent to Aus.
    If so she was born cica 1771.
    I hope that helps
    Dean

I have been reading the 1819 court reports for Scotland in the Caledonian Mercury, they are distractingly interesting! There is only 1 report of an Ann Robertson (3 May, 1819). In Glasgow on 29 April, she pleaded guilty and got 7 years, so It's pretty likely that she's yours. Essentially, she used banknotes of the Aberdeen Commercial Banking Company that she knew to be forged on multiple occasions, always in payment for spirits, demanding the balance in change. Unfortunately, it says nothing of her background.

As I know to my cost, Robertson is one of the 10 most common names in Scotland!

Famous for offering help & advice

Ancestry has a file of headstone transcriptions and they reckon Ann was 90 years old at death but whether that can be relied on I don't know. The 'Find-A-Grave' website has a photo of the grave. It does seem to say 90.

meanwhile there is a death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald. The print isn't very good but it looks like 93 years old ?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have done quite a bit of research into convicts, and unfortunately the records for women tend to be more sparse than they are for men.

However, if there is anything to be found I suspect that it may well lie in the gaol records. The system in Scotland is different from that England and Wales, which is the one I am more familiar with. But some gaol records can have quite a lot detailed information about prisoners in terms of where they are from, who their relatives etc.

I have done a little "googling" and the following may provide you with some leads to follow up on:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/resear...-and-criminals

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research