Thread: New to this

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question New to this

Hello. I'm very new to this and at an age where it is a bit overwhelming. Can you help me by pointing me in the right direction to ask questions please? E.G. I am looking for WW1 Army records and also WW2 RAF queries. I don't want to post in an inappropriate area. Thank you.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Audrey.
    WW1 army records can be found on the various commercial genealogy sites, normally by subscription. However, only about a third of them have survived WW2. If the person you want died during the War, there is often information to be had from people such as the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
    WW2 records have not yet been released for online publication, but families can buy copies for 30 pounds plus a copy of the death certificate. Click HERE for a post with more information.

Since you are new to such forums, you may find the message HERE useful.

Take a bit of time to look around the site. You can find our forum collection via the Home page (see the blue bar at the bottom of any of the pages).

Above all, enjoy!

PS I don't type faster, Pam... I dictate and the PC types....

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Audrey S,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

First of all, don't worry too much about posting in the wrong place because people who, like me are called 'super moderators', can wave their magic wand and move things to the correct forum. Though obviously try not to post a military query in a sub-forum which is completely wrong, e.g. the one headed Divorce'.

Military sub-forums are actually in two main forums - one labelled Occupations and the other History Topics.

I can give you some help right away.
    Many WW1 service records were destroyed either by fire, or by bombing in WW2, so only about 30% survive. They can be found on the commercial sites of Findmypast (FMP) and Ancestry. One or both of these sites might be available for free through your local library. Check the library website. If you are not currently a member you should still be able to join.
    On both sites, in addition to the service records there are pension records, medal awards, etc.
    You can also take out free 14-day trials to both sites, though I would suggest that you take them out at separate times, or at least with only a few days overlap. It is very important you make sure that any box which says 'auto subscribe' is unticked otherwise you will find a big hole in your bank balance. You should also make sure that you contact the company and cancel your 'renewal' a couple of days before the end of the trial.

Service records for personnel who served after 1922 (even if they enlisted in 1918) are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Details of how to apply can be found here
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757
    You will need to send a (photo)copy of the death certificate and usually a cheque for thirty pounds. There are some exceptions to the latter which are explained in the link/forms. You will need to know the person's date of birth or their service number. You do not need both.

Other records for WW2 are available but they relate to a particular time/instance in a person's life. e.g. if they were a Prisoner of War, and not to their actual service.

Knew Lesley would type quicker than me, but I'll leave my post as it is because I have provided some extra details.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”