Settling in

Red face Charles Arundel Lambert

My Great Great Grandfather was Baptised Charles Arundel. The entry in the baptismal record of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Lincoln, by the Rev. William Gray, shows that Charles Arundel was born at Lincoln on or before 31st July 1809. His mother was Mary Appleby, Spinster, and his father a (Mr.?) Arundel. The entry means that his mother knew who his father was and it is likely that his father was in Lincoln about October-November 1808 three years after the Battle of Trafalgar and during the hard times of the Napoleonic wars. Charles (incorrectly) later records his birth date as 20th August 1809.

In the church records entries by the Rev. Grey show that on 28th February 1813 his mother, still a spinster, had a daughter, Clarissa, who only survived nine months and was buried on 29th November 1813. Her father's name was not recorded.

In 1816 on 20th March, William Lambert, bachelor, married Maria Appleby, spinster. It was the custom at that time, before the national registration of births etc. at Somerset House, for children to take the family name of the step-father and Charles Arundel became Charles Lambert. No further records have been found relating to William and Maria

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don't think that you can assume that Charles's father was a Mr Arundel.

If you look at the entries in the parish register it is clear that the format is for the child's first names to be recorded followed by the parent(s) names; now matter how strange those names might look to our eyes.

There might be a clue in the name, but there again, it could equally be that it was somebody who was kind to her.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Yes, I agree with Megan.
    Charles' full name was Charles Arundel APPLEBY.

There might be a clue in the name, but there again, it could equally be that it was somebody who was kind to her.
    Might also be a family surname, but even allowing for variants there's no Appleby/Arundel marriages in Lincolnshire in extant registers. If Arundel as a family surname went back another generation then it would be extremely difficult to connect.

Cogs in my brain are thinking there might be a connection to Hull, on the north side of the Humber estuary, as the cogs say that there used to be 'boat' traffic between Hull and Lincoln back in those days, and Appleby is a surname found in Hull.
    (Hull is actually Kingston-upon-Hull, but is generally just referred to as Hull.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

I have this extract from 1752 Family Bible
    1702 Peter Lambert son of Peter and Mary Lambert baptised St. Mary Magdalen
    1705 Jas. Lambert baptised at St. Mary Magdalene. Son of Peter Lambert
    1712 May 11 Edw.Appleby married Martha Pockington at St.Martins, Lincoln
    1718 Apr.6 Thos. Appleby baptised - son of Wm. & Sarah at Boston
    1720 ABT. Wm.Appleby married Sarah/Sara at Boston
    1723 Elizabeth ? born died 1805(St.Martins)Married Wm.Colton 4.7.1743 at Newton Trent
    1725 May 6 Wm.Appleby son of Wm. and Elizabeth baptised Boston
    1729 May 29 Wm.Appleby baptised Boston - son of Wm. and Sarah
    1731 Oct.14 Thos.Appleby born son of Wm. and Sara. Baptised Boston - brother of Wm.
    1734 Mar.7 Wm.Appleby son of Wm. and Sara baptised Boston - brother of Thos.
    1739 Jan.17 John Lambert married Elianor Morris (nee Grantham)at St.Mary Magdalen, Lincoln. Both of Colesworth
    1743 July 4 Wm.Colton married Elizabeth (above) at Newton on Trent (daughter Sarah Colton baptised 1755 at St.Martin
    1745 Mary Lambert married John Parker? At St.Mary Magdalen
    1751 Sep.4 Wm. son of Wm. and Sara Appleby baptised Stow in Lindsey
    1755 May21 Wm. Appleby married Sarah Colton
    1755 Dec.11 Sarah, daughter of Wm.Colton and Elizabeth, born Walton, baptised St.Martin in the city of Lincoln
    1770 Nov.2 Thos.Appleby son of Thos. and Elizabeth baptised, Boston
    1775 May 21 Wm. Appleby married Sarah Colton at Walton(Lincs.)
    1782 Dec.22 Thos.Appleby married Sarah Nelson
    1787 Maria Appleby daughter of Wm. and Sarah Appleby baptised at St.Martins(Lincs.)(Mother of Chas. Arundel later Chas. Lambert)
    1792 Stephen Colton Appleby brother to Maria
    1805 Apr.17 Francis Appleby, single, buried age 92yrs. St.Martins
    1805 Nov.6 Elizabeth Colton wife of Wm.Colton buried age 82 yrs. St.Martins

I don't know as of yet if any of the above will help me in finding who was the father of Charles Arundel.
    Charles's selection as ADC to the Duke of Cambridge in the Ionian Isles when an Ensign shows a quite remarkable rise in status especially during the 'quite' period for the British Army after the defeat of Napoleon.
    Whoever he was the birth was kept quiet and any money paid for Chas's care was not recorded in the usual way.

Please stop calling him Charles ARUNDEL. Arundel was his middle name. His surname was APPLEBY.
    You have a reference in the family bible
    1792 Stephen Colton Appleby brother to Maria
    Check out the way his baptism entry (30 December 1792, Lincoln St Martin) is recorded. (Available on Findmypast.)
    Stephen Colton, son of William and Sarah Appleby
    which is exactly the way Charles' baptism entry has been written. Charles Arundel, son of Maria APPLEBY.

I expect most of the entries in the bible can be found in the 'Lincolnshire Parish Registers, browse' dataset on Findmypast.
    Some I can help with.
    1720 ABT. Wm.Appleby married Sarah/Sara at Boston
    William Appleby married Sarah Flowers 19 May 1717 at Boston St Botolph
    which would account for
    1718 Apr.6 Thos. Appleby baptised - son of Wm. & Sarah at Boston
    The PR for Boston St Botolph doesn't have an Elizabeth,
    1723 Elizabeth ? born died 1805(St.Martins)Married Wm.Colton 4.7.1743 at Newton Trent
    but it does have a Frances, daughter of William and Sarah Appleby, baptised 2 April 1723

However, Frances could be an error because the next entry (dated 5 April) is for Frances, daughter of William and Frances Johnson. Sometimes the register wasn't written up for several days, and mistakes were made from scribbled notes.
    There is a further register, with just the month, which also says Frances.
    I haven't checked the Boston registers for any further Appleby entries (baptisms, marriages, burials) but the writing in the baptism section at least is very legible.

1743 July 4 Wm.Colton married Elizabeth (above) at Newton on Trent (daughter Sarah Colton baptised 1755 at St.Martin
    The PR for Newton on Trent says "William Colton of St Martins in the city of Lincoln married Elizabeth Colton of Eagle (Lincs village) married July 4th' (1743).
    There's also a marriage licence bond/allegation for this marriage, but sadly only in transcript form.

Will check out other entries listed in the bible shortly.

Pam

1755 May21 Wm. Appleby married Sarah Colton
    No apparent marriage in 1755 for a William Appleby to anyone.
    1775 May 21 Wm. Appleby married Sarah Colton at Walton(Lincs.)
    Ditto for 1775.

There is a further problem because there is also no Walton in Lincolnshire though there is a Welton.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/parishes
    There is also a Waltham, though that is further from Lincoln and Boston than Welton.

According to FMP there is only one marriage between a William Appleby and a Sarah 1745 to 1780, namely:
    William Appleby (of the parish of Caborn) and Sarah Harness of Stewton, 18 Feb 1757 in Stewton.

However, by the purest (and luckiest!) of chances I had already retrieved an old copy of the Lincs FHS index of marriages in Lawres deanery, and (literally after typing the previous paragraph) as I was giving up in despair my eyes wandered a couple of lines up the page and I saw William Applebe (sic) and Sarah Colton, 1775 in Welton by Lincoln.
    FMP doesn't have the PRs for Welton by Lincoln for that early date. But it does have an updated version of the LFHS index (Lincolnshire Marriage Index dataset on FMP) which says William and Sarah married 39 May 1775, and that William was from Fiskerton.

1739 Jan.17 John Lambert married Elianor Morris (nee Grantham)at St.Mary Magdalen, Lincoln. Both of Colesworth
    The afore-mentioned Index on FMP has the year as 1740, and makes no mention of Elianor's birth surname, which implies that there is nothing about it in the marriage record itself.
    And there isn't. (I am literally checking the records as I'm typing!)
    Parish register for St Mary Magdalen(e) Lincoln says John Lambert and Elianor Morris both of Colesworth was married 17 January. It's in the list for 1739 but at that time in England the legal year began on 25 March (i.e. 25 March 1739 to 24 March 1740). It wasn't until 1752 that dates in a year ran from 1 Jan to 31 Dec like they do nowadays. So although John and Elianor married in 1739 according to how the year operated at the time, we would regard them as marrying in 1740.

1745 Mary Lambert married John Parker? At St.Mary Magdalen
    They married 14 May 1745 at Lincoln St Margaret in the Close. John was from St Pauls parish.

Check out the Lincolnshire records on FMP by going to 'search A-Z record sets' and typing in 'Lincolnshire'.

Pam

Settling in

My Great Great Grandfather Charles has always been known as Charles Arundel through every generation and he gave that name to most of his children. It has always been said that he knew who his father was but upon his death he had his wife burn all records about who his father was. He has never in the last 200 years ever been referred to as Charles Appleby, but I do see your point though my father and a few great uncles have spent decades trying to find out who his father was. Thanks for you help and insights.