Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hi I can't find out how to use any of this stuff! Took me ages to find out how to post this. I went on the Forces website to find out more about my grandfather's military records, especially for WW1 but little was on there and certainly it isnt up to date. He was made a Captain on the battlefield but I don't know in which battle and the Forces website still had him down as a Lieutenant.
    Also there's virtually nothing on my father in WW2; he's down as a corporal but I know he was a Sergeant. He was a Japanese POW. I do know quite a lot about him but there's virtually nothing on this site.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, VickiLynne. It does all take a bit of getting used to but don't worry about making mistakes, you can always ask a Moderator to make a correction for you. We're easy to find - just look at the top left of your message box and under your name you will see that it says you are a newcomer. Now look at the same place on my message box, and it says Moderator. There's a few of us around. If you need to contact someone, click on their name (same place) and the system will take you to our Personal Message (PM) system. As an example, when I finish this reply, I will move your thread to the "Introduce yourself" forum.
    If you are curious about the relationship between FWR and BG (us), there is a message (click) HERE which explains things.

There is another message HERE which may help you to formulate your posts to help us help you.

With your query about service records, the MOD has not yet released the records of people who served after 1921 for publication. Families can buy copies - it costs 30 pounds and you need to provide a copy of the serviceman's death certificate. There's a message about the process HERE. About 60% of WW1 records were destroying during the bombing in WW2. Some information can be found, and we can help. Send a post telling us his name, regiment, number birthdate, that sort of thing, and we'll see what we can find.

I hope that I haven't drowned you in stuff to read. The main thing is to take things gradually, keep your questions simple but informative, and most importantly, enjoy yourself. We're all newbies in some aspects.

Have fun!