lizb2012

Default Searching for Emily Grant

Hi There

I have been trying to find out what happened to my great grandmother for near enough a decade now and I think it's fair to say that I have hit a total brick wall.

Her name: Emily Grant
    Born: 1894, Hulme.
    Moved to the Isle of Wight around ?1915
    Her parents were George Henry Grant and Hannah Robinson.

She had 3 children:
    Ivy May Grant Born 1918 (I have contacted her family and they do not know what happened to Emily) father unknown but was living with her parents when Ivy born.
    Leonard Grant Born 1928 in a workhouse on the Isle of Wight - father unknown. He was sent to an orphanage but was never adopted. He has now passed away.
    Derek Grant Born 1925 in the same workhouse. He was successfully adopted (I made contact with his family some years back and they had no info on Emily).

After her sons were born in the workhouse the trail runs cold. I cannot find a marriage or death record for her. I have purchased some death certificates in the past which turned out to be incorrect. I have tried the Isle of Wight family history society but they did not have any info either sadly.

I would really like to know what happened to her. She seemed to have a rather sad life from what I have managed to find out. She could have returned to the mainland, but there are very few Emily Grant's who match up with the timeline.

If anyone has any idea of where I should maybe look next I would so much appreciate it.

Thank you for reading!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Looking at the 1911 census I see that her father was originally from the IoW so perhaps that is why she went there to be with family.

I can also see that she had a number of siblings and although for whatever reason she may not have kept in contact with her children she may have kept in contact with her siblings. So it might be worth looking at their lines.

If you don't know her exact date of birth you should consider buying her birth certificate because that might help you. For instance you could search the 1939 Register with just her first name and exact date of birth and see whether or not that gave you a manageable number of hits to work through.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Do you have Ivy's birth certificate?

GRANT Ivy May 1918 J Qtr Isle of Wight Vol 02B Page 996 mothers maiden name DENNELLS

Dennells is a very rare name and I can't see any connection to Emily or Ivy May.

The two boys birth entries show GRANT as mother's maiden name, as you would expect.

Peter