Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Address Help

Famous for offering help & advice

what is the addressee's name ?

FMP has a file Westminster Rate Books (1634-1900). I entered Portman Square 1818 in the search boxes and it gave me over 60,000 results.

Starting to feel at home

Richard Henry May.

Do rate books work if you’re just a lodger or renting rooms? He was only 19.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersand View Post
    Richard Henry May.

Do rate books work if you’re just a lodger or renting rooms? He was only 19.
    fair point

"Richard May" is giving me results but all in Sackville Street.

going back to the writing I've decided a letter is being inserted before the final T - giving me P**anault. But that thought hasn't got me anywhere !!

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for trying. The Sackville Richard May was a tailor.
    There were rate book entries pre 1800 in Black Swan Court then after 1809 in South Moulton Street, but they may be his father. I think he was a Licensed Victualler.

But who paid rates? Some came up with house, I noticed. I thought only those who ran businesses in their premises did, or if they “owned” a house. I must admit I’m not sure what the situation regarding renting and leasing was back then. Here, if you own a home and rent it out, you pay the rates. But commercial enterprises seem to pay rates to cover “the watch” the poor, kerbing and guttering. Did businesses like pubs, own the building or lease it?

I read the name as R K May and checked around under that limited/suspect info - drew a blank. Thanks for confirming full name
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

He adopted the Henry as a middle name. He admitted as such in his will. It looks a bit as if he squashed it in. He was at least the fifth Richard in a row, so possibly wanted to stand out. No idea of why a Henry though. Can’t find any in his tree. Thanks for looking.

Settling in

I examined the photograph in detail using photoshop and think that it says Seymour Street. From what I am able to make out using various filters my hunch is that Richard wrote "No 6 Por" then realised he was making a mistake. There appears to be elements of the capital letter S (see Square)overlaid on the P and the "o" is corrected to an "e" but the ink has spread thus blurring the letter. He has then modified the "r" into "y". The remaining letters seem to spell "maur" however he is using cursive script and might just have found writing on wood with a fountain pen to be a challenge. A non scientific attempt to solve the mystery - hope it helps either way

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for that. It actually makes sense. The owner died leaving a 5 year old son, it has been in the possession of subsequent generations. Possibly his son had mistakenly, or deliberately, wrote P when it should have been S and written in a stronger more modern ink. At least it is comforting to know the original writer had done it correctly.
    I suspect it had been a birthday present as one of the four possible christening dateS was the 19th February.
    The H may even be a later addition as he took on Henry as a middle name himself and that is how the family knew him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12