Default 908244 Donald Austin THOMAS

In trying to trace my Uncles time in the RAF and I found this in the London Gazette which we are sure is him.

From “Supplement to the London Gazette 27th March 1945”
    METEOROLOGICAL BRANCH.
    Appointment to commission.
    As Fig. Off. (emergency): — Actg. Sgt.
    908244 Donald Austin THOMAS (190140). 8th Feb. 1945.
    As Pit. Offs. on prob. (emergency) 8th Feb.1945 •• —

I assume his service number is 908244 (and not 190140). That said, neither of these numbers appear in searches but I did find a recorded DA Thomas in the meteorological branch as a Flying Officer (again no service number). I do know he was demobbed as a Flight Lieutenant but struggle to find any details.

As anyone else come across this problem and any have any ideas on narrowing my search down.

Thanks, Brent

Service records from 1921 or later have not yet been released for publication online. The good news is that, assuming the person is dead, the family can but a copy for 30 pounds plus a (photo)copy of the death certificate. See HERE for more information.

If you are new to forums like this, you may find the message HERE useful.

Above all, enjoy!

Famous for offering help & advice

Yes, his number was 908244 (see image 1288 in the Preview pane). This service number falls within the block allocations issued to Uxbridge in September 1939.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C4005964

Thank you Lesley. Unfortunately he was a bachelor and passed away about 30 years ago in Western Australia. He was living with one of his siblings who has since passed away too (so I don't think I can get hold of a death certificate). Do you know if there are plans to publish these records in the near future?

Thank you Jomot - at least that clears that question up!

You could try HERE