Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Denbigh assizes records

Hi all, my first post. I am after any information that could help me access Denbigh assizes records . I have a convict ancestor - Jerimiah Cowley or (crowley) born 1776- who was transported to Australia on the Heroine sailed on 6th May, 1833 arrived 19th September, 1833 at New South Wales. Just trying to find out what he was convicted off and did he return to England after serving his sentence. Any ideas on where I start?

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

FindMyPast - Prison Registers
    DENBIGH
    Name - Jeremiah Cowley or Crowley, When Tried - Lent Assizes 1833, Crimes - Larceny &c in a dwelling house, Sentence - Transportation Life

There's a lengthy report in the newspaper - Chester Chronicle, 22 March 1833. I'll check to see if this is available via the newspapers on line with the Library of Australia.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I notice the newspaper item describes him as "Cawley" or "Crawley".
    Welshnewspapers on line
    https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...550/4459553/20

See column 5 - it is only a short item (so not the item referred to in my previous post). I have checked the Library of Australia archive and the Chester Chronicle is not held.

FindMyPast also has prison register records under "Cawley or Crawley".

Brick wall demolition expert!

Unfortunately the only place that holds the actual trial records is the National Archives in Kew. Those records are not on line. If he had been tried at the Quarter Sessions those trial records are available from the County record office.

Jeremiah Cowley/ Crowley was given a sentence of transportation for life, so he would not legally have been allowed to return to the UK, unless somehow or other he obtain a free pardon in New South Wales.

Findmypast has the records for UK prison including the prison hulks where convicts were held before being sent to Australia. They also any appeals that might have been launched by the convict or his family and/or friends. But in this case I can't see any.

Ancestry has all the Australian convict records. There do not seem to be many, although there are a couple of mentions of him in a various gaols, but not what for. It could be that he was just passing through on his way to another assignment. At one he was in Berima gaol and that says he was originally from Liverpool.

I found on Ancestry NSW Convict Indents for the Heroine which have been transcribed and have got a wealth of information. For some reason it did not come up in the general search I did, but having looked for convicts before, I know what to look for. The following is a link for it:
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...74__0003-00061

In summary he was from Liverpool, a Catholic, widower without children, a brewer and malster by trade and sometimes butler. He could read and write. He had served a previous sentence 7 year sentence of transportation in Van Diemens Land arriving there in 1823 aboard the Sir Godfrey Webster and went home free on the Larkins in 1831.

You can get his Tasmanian records under the name Crowley by searching the Tasmania Names Index: https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.a...cts%09Convicts

For that offence he was found guilty of Larceny at the October 1822 Quarter Sessions in Lancaster.

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Chester Chronicle 22 March 1833

BNA has this newspaper.

To summarise:
    Denbighshire Assizes
    Jeremiah Cawley alias Crawley (45) of Liverpool was indicted for breaking into the house of Mrs Sibella Egerton of Gresford, and stealing various silver items including a silver inkstand, which he later tried to sell at the Bullion Office. They called the police.

Jeremiah had a previous conviction from Preston, for stealing a watch - 7 years transportation. (So had he been transported and returned?)
    When taken to the Borough Gaol at Liverpool "all the turnkeys shook hands with him, and welcomed him back."

Verdict: Guilty of stealing in a dwelling-house to the amount of above £5.
    Sentence: Transported for life.

Trove newspapers has an 1827 reference to a " Shipley (3) Jeremiah Crowley" (grant of certificate of freedom).
    On her 3rd trip to Port Jackson, 5 Jun 1820- 26 Sep 1820 the Shipley transported 150 male convicts.

FindMyPast Prison Registers
    Name - Jeremiah Crowley, When tried - 1820 January Sessions Bristol, Crime - Felony/assault with intent to rob, Sentence - 7 years transportation
    Bristol Mercury, 17 Jan 1820
    AT OUR GENERAL QUARTER SESSIONS - On Monday last, the following prisoners were tried:- .....; Jer Crowley, for assaulting William Doddle and demanding his money; .... :- Sentence seven years transportation

Please see my post 6. His first conviction was at Lancaster in 1822, and he was he was sent to Van Diemens Land. That information comes from his 1833 criminal records when he arrived in NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Pleas see my post 6.
    I'm simply identifying the presence of 2 Jeremiah Crowleys in Oz at this period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast