neverending

Default Death Records for Molash in Kent

Hello, I am trying to find out the age of a maybe ancestor who died in Molash, Kent and was buried on 10/10/1828.
    Her name was Sarah Clarke.
    I have found the record but am unable to access the original record to see her age.
    Can anyone please give me the names of sites that might show this.
    Cheers
    Denise Clark.

Brick wall demolition expert!

In 1828 the only records that dealt with births deaths and marriages were parish records and possibly depending upon the family newspaper announcements.

Civil registration did not start until 1837.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Once lockdowns are finished, and life starts returning to normal, you should be able to view film number 1835505 at a LDS FHC local to you. The film has the Bishop's Transcripts for Molash.
    LDS is the shortened title of The Church of Latter-Day Saints.
    FHC is Family History Centre.

I wrote quite a lengthy message about searching on the films the other day. I'm expecting a visitor this morning so don't have time to do it now, but will find it later in the day.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Have you tried here?
    https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Famous for offering help & advice

FMP has a transcript of a burial 10 June 1828 not October. No age is recorded. They have a couple of baptism & marriages too.

There’s a Sarah Clark (without an e) born 1809 died burial 18 June 1828.

Do you know her DOB?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Once lockdowns are finished, and life starts returning to normal, you should be able to view film number 1835505 at a LDS FHC local to you. The film has the Bishop's Transcripts for Molash.
    LDS is the shortened title of The Church of Latter-Day Saints.
    FHC is Family History Centre.

I wrote quite a lengthy message about searching on the films the other day. I'm expecting a visitor this morning so don't have time to do it now, but will find it later in the day.

Pam
    Fortunately for me, I found it without too much looking, though it's obviously taken me several days to get it partly re-typed and posted.

You don't say where you found the record.
    On FMP, it just says at the bottom of the page 'Index (c) IRI. Used by permission of FamilySearch Intl'
    On FamilySearch, it just gives the basic information that FMP quotes.
    Ancestry is slightly more helpful because it says FHL Film Number: 1835505, reference ID, item 3.

Prior to genealogy becoming the big business it is today, many years ago the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (its members more usually known as Mormons, with the Church name being shortened to LDS) filmed parish registers and other documents held in archives and record offices throughout the world.
    Exactly what's on a film can be found by referring to the Catalog.
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog
    Think you will need to create an account (link top right-hand corner), but no credit card details are asked for.
    Search method when you have a film number:
    Select search, film/fiche number.
    Enter number, press search.

Using film number 1835505, you will see a list of six items (all Archdeacon's and Bishop's Transcripts) for various places in Kent. The problem with these records is that I don't think the pages are headed with either the name of the parish or whether they're ATs or BTs so you will have to work your through the pages very carefully to find where one item ends and the next begins. There are labelled pages between the different items. (See also below.)

If you didn't have a film number, then you would need to enter Molash,Kent,in the place name, and then click search.
    Doing it that way, you have a choice of six different records, and you want church records.
    Clicking on the title of each record will tell you a little more about them, and where and how they can be viewed.
    Ideally you want parish registers, but although they've been filmed they're not available online. Nor even possibly at a FHC.
    The ATs and BTs are viewable at a FHC, as indicated by a camera image at the end of the record.

FHC is Family History Center. To find one near you
    https://www.familysearch.org/help/fhcenters/locations/
    You do not need to be a member of the LDS Church to visit, though it usually advisable to phone and book a computer, rather than just turning up.

Additional info re searching through films to find the correct item, though only part of it applies in your case because you know the item number.
    I wasted a LOT of time with one film, so I consider myself something of an expert looking at FHL films. Start by looking at the beginning of the film, to see if it lists what's on the film and what the item numbers are. It might say item 1 baptisms 1754-1812 Manchester St Frederick, item 2 burials Lincoln St Paul 1813-1837 etc.
    Then you can gently fast forward through the pages until you see the pages relevant to the parish and type of register you want. Sometimes you find you've gone a bit too far forward, so you'll have to scroll back till you find the ones relevant to 'item 3'.

Alternatively, it there's no listing of the items then you'll have to make your own.
    Start on page one, and a screen will come up telling you the parish and the relevant records in the section of film you're about to view. Again gently FF, stopping every twenty pages or so to see if you've still looking at the same parish/type of register, or if one or both have changed. Again, it's then a case of scrolling back till you find the screen page which tells you what's on the next section of film.
    It sounds a bit of a faff, but it's easier to do than have explained, and once you get the hang of it, it's a doddle.

When at the FHC, you might be able to take copies of the film pages. If not make sure that you carefully record name of parish, type of register, page number, entry number, and *exactly* what the entry says (e.g. if the name is clearly spelt as Sammuel, that's what you transcribe)
    Don't forget to look for other entries for the same surname in that register. You might very easily find the answers to a lot more questions.

Hopefully I've explained it fairly well, but if not, please yell.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

neverending

Thank you for your hints, sorry about mistake in month, I wrote 10 twice on my notes.
    I do have the death record but I am trying to find her age at death to verify if she is the Sarah I am looking for.
    My Husbands ancestor, John Clark/e married a Sarah Dutch/Ditch in Rye, Sussex in 1824.
    He came to Tasmania, Australia between 1830-32.
    He married again and his marriage certificate here said he was a widower, so I am trying to find where and when his first wife died and the only Sarah Clark I can find is in Kent.
    There are 3, one in Molash, Alkham and Folkestone.
    On the HRFHS links page I found a link called archersoftware.co.uk
    On the LH side of the page if you click on the Links it leads to another page with a heading
    IGI Batch numbers
    Next click on England, County and you get all the parish records on film which allows access to Family Search.
    I did have to troll through lots of pages and Parishes, but I have found a lot of things.
    Last edited by neverending; 17-06-2020 at 7:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to add an important piece.