Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Pipsqueak,
    I've just been offered "Nagelsmed" as a translation of our problem word ie. Nailsmith or Nailmaker.

Any thoughts?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Pipsqueak,
    I've just been offered "Nagelsmed" as a translation of our problem word ie. Nailsmith or Nailmaker.

Any thoughts?
    I think that looks good, I had been looking for words beginning 'N' as the first letter does look like the old Danish writing for N. Well done helachau
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Thank you almach - I seem to have a lot more sites to research!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Pipsqueak,

Any thoughts?
    I'm not sure... I can't see why he would have been a nailsmith lol. Joking aside, I can see Nagels possibly but the accent on the second part doesn't match up with "med". Surely that has to be over an i or u?? I think we (you) are nearly there though.

Starting to feel at home

But ... look at the dates. Nov has a definite N which looks nothing like the first letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    But ... look at the dates. Nov has a definite N which looks nothing like the first letter.
    That's true, Pipsqueak.

I've been scouring old Danish alphabets but can't find a letter which looks like the first letter in your word.
    Alma

Pipsqueak, this forum looks useful and helpful, the second topic down is "Help for interpreting texts, etc."

If you right-click on the pages you're given the option to translate to English.

https://
    forum.slaegt.dk/
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Sorry - just been going through the link someone sent me to (I can't remember who and I have so many pages open at the moment that it is hard to backtrack!) Looking at gothic alphabet c 1800 it definitely does look like an N. Helachua, I am coming to the same conclusion as your interpretation. Thank you.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you almach. I am all over the place with links now but this is the one that seems to make sense to understand the lettering. https://www.sa.dk/wp-content/uploads...-alphabets.pdf

Starting to feel at home

Hi Helachau. Is there anyway to search this site? I have tried and failed to navigate it so far but it looks to have so much information that I might find helpful.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast