Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    Hi Helachau. Is there anyway to search this site?
    What site? Brit-gen? Daisy?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Oops, my mistake. Yes, I meant Daisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    Is there anyway to search this site?
    Yes of course! But it isn't simply a matter of keying in a name, DoB, place etc, hitting "enter" and sitting back.
    https://sa.dk/en/genealogy/genealogy-get-started

Note the absence of a " ...master index or computer file that covers them all". Records are held by Parish (Sogn) within County (Amt). Without the Parish (Sogn) you are struggling - hence my post #11

https://sa.dk/en/services/records-registries/

Click on "Parish Registers"
    Tab down to "See & Search in Parish Registers online" & click on. Choose English - does make it easier!!
    Click on "Church books ...."
    Drop down list - Choose County "Odense" & Archive "Assens Parish"
    Click on "Baptismal register"
    Click on "1841-1863"
    Delivers screens "1-308" in date of baptism order. Trial and error clicking on numbers listed to find 1853. eg click on 45 and you are in 1849, click on 60 you are in 1851, click on 80 and you're in 1854 - too far.So back you go - possibly starting to use "Go to previous page" button since you are fairly close.
    As you become familiar with the site you may find better ways to navigate. But the bottom line is it's not simply a matter of keying in a name, DoB etc, hitting enter and sitting back. There's work to be done.

I'll leave it to you to check other Church books or, indeed, Census.
    Pob lwc (that's Welsh not Danish for good luck).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Thank you. I will digest all that info tomorrow!

A fountain of knowledge

PIPSQUEEK
    In my posting No.27 on 5th June, I said that I had emailed someone I hoped would be able to help with your translation. I haven't received a reply to my email so have made some enquiries and today heard that someone might be able to help - so fingers crossed! Better late than never!Best wishes Jill

A fountain of knowledge

PIPSQUEEK

Further to my last posting here (No.45) I have now heard from the second person I hoped would help.
    The entire document hasn't been translated but he is hopefully working on that. I have just received the following - hope this helps with your mysterious word!

"A ‘nagelsmed’ was a type of blacksmith that only makes nails. The profession is today of course extinct, and therefore the word is not used anymore either."

Jill

A fountain of knowledge

PIPSQUEEK
    I appreciate that this is a bit late in the day but ..
    In my postings Nos. 27 and 45 I said I was making enquiries and hoped to find someone to help with your Danish translation.Then in mine No. 46 I posted that the only information I had received was:
    "A ‘nagelsmed’ was a type of blacksmith that only makes nails. The profession is today of course extinct, and therefore the word is not used anymore either."
    But that was all that person contributed! So off I went again and all I can offer this time is the following:
    "Merchant Lauritz Tolstrup Holz and wife Hanne Sophie Ernst, 34 years old from Assens."
    This was from the Danish Family Search who also said:"If you have further questions for translation, please ask in our Forum.
    You can ask in english, and we will answer as soon as possible.
    https://www.danishfamilysearch.com/forum/ "
    In fact I should think that this information more or less translates the document which no doubt you have sorted by now.Sorry for the delay but at least the thought was there!Best wishes Jill

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345