Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Sorry, you mean ref to page 92 re second image. I am sure it is not an M now so thank you.

I posted page 77 of the register (image of the 1853 baptism). You can page forward from there to page 92 (image of the 1855 baptism).

Looking at the image of the name Clausen I see a long "s" (it looks like an "f" not an "s"). Google "the long s".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The answer might be found here https://genealogyblog.com/?p=14634
    However, the is no on line version available.

I've googled "old danish occupations" or "ancient danish occupations". Several sites returned but yet to see something that might fit your problem word.

Forgot to ask - at post #19 you use "BTW" and "btw". Is this textspeak for something? I don't have a mobile phone/have never texted.

I've trawled through the register for further occurrences of the problem word but the only 2 occurrences to date are against your "rellie". The equivalent of our "Ag lab", "F.S" etc he ain't!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    I am sure it is not an M now so thank you.
    Agreed.
    Trawling through the registers page by page I became aware of a regular entry that was always underlined - appeared where there was no father listed. There's an example in column 5 of the 1853 baptism (page 77)- Niels Christian Thomsen. It's "Modor/Mother" - the "M" looks different to the first letter of our problem word.

Many thanks for this post - it's been fascinating checking out these registers.

A fountain of knowledge

PIPSQUEEK ... AND HELACHAU!

Please don't build your hopes up but I have just emailed someone who I think will be able to help
    translating your document. However we haven't been in touch for a few years so it might not come to
    anything - just thought I'd let you know!
    Best wishes Jill.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for the links Helachau and for all your input. I know it is a long S but I as thinking I was missing a short S too!

BTW means by the way - I'm not particularly up on text speak but that is one I have picked up.

And don't thank me - I thank you for taking an interest and helping me. These registers offer up a new challenge, don't they?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    PIPSQUEEK ... AND HELACHAU!

Please don't build your hopes up but I have just emailed someone who I think will be able to help
    translating your document. However we haven't been in touch for a few years so it might not come to
    anything - just thought I'd let you know!
    Best wishes Jill.
    Thank you Jill - fingers crossed. That is so kind of you.

Hi Pipsqueak,

I haven't read the entire thread so don't know if you've tried a Danish Genealogy Forum where you could perhaps upload your image and ask if anyone is able to translate. I came across this one, there may be others. https://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/list.php?11

Also, family search has some useful help topics, one for occupations.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...sh_Occupations

And for Danish research websites.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...earch_Websites
    Alma

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast