Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default 1st Battalion 9th (East Norfolk) Regiment

Hi,
    I have been looking for my Great Grandfather's whereabouts between 1861 and 1881, he was in a Children's Establishment in Limehouse London, but I don't know how long for. A distant relative of mine reckons he was a Drummer boy in the East Norfolks in 1871, but she has nothing to back it up other than the record on FWR, I have just got a months sub to check it out, but it doesn't tell me much more, other than he was in Dublin Ireland. I thought it might have given me more info, like his place of birth at least. Is there anywhere else I can find out more. I need something else to clarify whether it is my ancestor or not. Record says other collections may hold more or different data, what other places can I try?
    Thanks
    Sheila
    Last edited by sheikster; 31-05-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: adding info

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Sheila, What was your Great Grandfather's name?
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Sheila. Since you have arrived via FWR, you may find the message HERE. Essentially, they own and operate the whole site, but BG is run (more or less) independently, and is free to use.

I see that Peter has beaten me to the most important question, to which I would add when and where was he born? When was he in the Home in London? It might be possible to find him in one of the censuses...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

He was JOHN FARLEY, born in 1853 in Wapping Workhouse London. I have just found him being discharged from Limehouse Children's Establishment in January 1868, going to The Army Band East Norfolks. He would be 14 nearly 15 when he was discharged.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I found him on 1861 census in the Limehouse Children's Establishment, but have never been able to find him on 1871 census, the next time I found him was on 1881 census in Great Yarmouth Norfolk, boarding at another household.

There is only one John Farley born 1852-1854 in the London area - in the June Quarter of 1853 in Stepney, according to FreeBMD. Since I've escaped from the scottish forums, I'm not sure about the relationship between Wapping and Steney...

However, have you got his birth certificate?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    There is only one John Farley born 1852-1854 in the London area - in the June Quarter of 1853 in Stepney, according to FreeBMD. Since I've escaped from the scottish forums, I'm not sure about the relationship between Wapping and Steney...

However, have you got his birth certificate?
    Yes that is him and I do have his birth certificate. They are both in the Tower Hamlets district. Wapping was the workhouse he was in. Which is in Stepney area.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

It says he joined The Army Band the 1/9th Foot regiment. He left the children's home in January 1868.
    I have had some help from someone else and he said to see if I can find his Attestation papers, where would I find them please?

Reputation beyond repute

Sheila
    You need to read this National Archives research guide
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ists-1732-1898

and also the associated guides.

In those days records that survived tended to be those where the man was discharged to pension and it sounds as if your man wasn't in the army long enough to qualify for a pension. However you ought to search the main series of service records (WO97) which is available online at Findmypast. When they reopen, you may have some success by visiting the National Archives and searching the pay and muster records forwards and backwards from the one you already have (WO12/2716). There is more in the Muster Rolls and Pay Lists research guide.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Peter, will have a look. Unfortunately I doubt I will get to the Archives, will have to see if one day it is possible.