Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Military No BSM 859816 - John Robert Brown

Hello

I will apply for my grandfather's service records (can I do without my father's permission as next of kin though - have sent to him but sort of dis-interested?) However, in the meantime as could be some months before I get them, if I think I have a military number BSM 859816 (he wrote this number on the part of the diary not destroyed) can I tell which regiment he was in?

He did then join the D Battery of the 3rd RHA in March 1942, but appears to have another military number 234310 and have found in National Archives a citation for his Croix de Guerre.

Thank you,

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces Records reading this will explain the connection

This link gives the blocks of number and which regiment they were allocated to.

Of the numbers you give BSM 859816 appears to be the Royal Artillery and 234310 to the Royal Army Service Corps. So what is BSM? I am no expert on this so will take another look

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The only reference I can find to BSM is Bronze Star Medal which is a United States decoration awarded to members of the United States Armed Force although foreign soldiers are eligible to receive this award who have served with or alongside a service branch of the United States Armed Forces.
    If the reference number BSM859816 id the Bronze Star medal number then that leaves 234310 as his service number in the Royal Army Service Corps.
    The National Archives have war diaries for various regiments which usually only name those of higher rank but if your grandfather received the American Bronze Service Medal he may get a mention. Otherwise the war diaries will give information as to where and when regiments were operating although come to think of it we may only know the regiment and not the unit at this stage.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

John Robert Brown 859816 is listed among the Royal Artillery attestations on Findmypast. It's annotated "Par 390 (xvii) K.R. 28/2/42" I believe this clause in King's Regulations refers to being discharged to commission which would explain the new number.

Thank you Peter
    So that means that the letters BSM ae actually part of the service number and are not a reference to the American Bronze Star medal?
    Chistina
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Hi All
    B.S.M. Battalion Sergeant Major ?

I hope that helps

Dean

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

BSM is normally a Battery Sergent Major.

Keith

A fountain of knowledge

hi Keith,
    thanks ..
    yes that would fit with being an Artillery regiment , Lizzie , have you got a date of birth , place of birth , marriage details , all of this helps enormously if you are looking for military records .
    Dean

Thank you Dean and Keith. That solves it for me
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Dean, yes John Robert Brown's DOB is 22 October 1912, Uckfield in Sussex. He was married on 6th August 1938. I have found more out, he was in the 98th Artillery (Sussex Yeomanry) from 1936 - 1939, then the 144 Field Regiment also Sussex Yeomanry and changed to the D Battery, 3rd RHA in March 1942.
    Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast