Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Boots Cash Chemist

I have an ancestor who, it appears may have worked for Boots the Chemist. When he was discharged from the military in 1918 due to injury there is a somewhat damaged page in a record that lists Boots Cash Chemist as an 'approved society'. It was with a list of other questions regarding his occupation and how he would earn money. Can anybody explains what this means?

Many thanks

Alison

A fountain of knowledge

hi Alison
    a quick 'google' of Boots cash chemist , has a lot of detail , it looks like this is how Boots the drugs company expanded into what we would now call 'high street ' shops etc .
    Hope that helps
    Dean

Many thanks Dean, I did do a Google myself and found lots of detailed information as you describe. I am just a little confused as to what it means by 'approved society'. That almost sounds like it's a charity. (And this was clearly a question asked to all people who were discharged from military service so inevitably there are loads of possible answers - 'What is the name of your approved society?'.) Was it literally just checking that they had a job to go back to? It's almost certainly a language thing and I'm just being thick! (And I realise it's not specifically about Boots but wasn't sure what category to write in!)

Many thanks for you help.

Alison

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Boots might have their own archives. Or possibly did years ago, but then donated them to somewhere like Nottinghm(shire) Archives/Record Office.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam

Famous for offering help & advice

this may not be relevant, but if you scroll down through this man's record he gives his occupation as coal miner and is then asked for his "approved society" - which is an insurance company

https://www.cumberbatch.org/index.ph...idge-1894-1970

I'm no expert on this - did a service man pay into an insurance policy in case he was incapacitated, or for his widow to claim from if he was killed ?

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debat...peaker%3A17049

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-h...ns-with-regard

Interesting. Which brings me to my original point - did my ancestor put a chemist, possibly his employer/ former employer as an insurance company/pension fund? Did Boots the Chemist provide that service?

Many thanks, Wimsey.

Alison

Nottingham Evening Post, 11 Apr 1913
    Messrs. Boots approved society, with its 6,000 members, under the Insurance Act, was reported in the annual meeting in Nottingham yesterday to be safe and strong and its future was looked forward to with great hope and confidence.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Daily Mail, 27 May 1912
    NATIONAL INSURANCE ACT
    In order to secure the full benefits of the National Insurance Act you must join an Approved Society

(extract from an advert by the Prudential Approved Society)

Have you been able to find your "rellie" on the 1911 Census to determine occupation?

Pall Mall Gazette, 19 Jun 1912
    BOOTS CASH CHEMISTS (EASTERN)
    "... With respect to the National Insurance Act, this Company in conjunction with our other associated companies, has set on foot an approved society for the employees ..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast