Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Can I be sure this is my Mary Ann

I've been researching Samuel Gratrex who married Mary Ann Carr. I've got rough dates of birth as 1775 and 1773 respectively. Three children: John on 12th February 1802 from a record in Dr. Williams’ Library in Red Cross Street near Cripplegate in London. Mary baptised on 22nd April 1804 at St. Ann’s Church in Blackfriars in the City of London and a second son baptised as Samuel on 30th March 1806 again at St. Ann’s Church.

I can't find any sign of Samuel in census and haven't pinned down a death. I have found two possible records for Mary Ann in 1841 and 1851 and she is in Old Street, St. Luke's in Middlesex but she doesn't seem to have any family with her and doesn't say (in 1851) that she is a widow so I can't be sure it is her.

I now have an 1854 death certificate for Mary Ann Gratrex who died at 10 Mitchell Street, St. Luke's aged 81. Mary Ann is noted as the wife of Samuel Gratrex a flutemaker. The informant is S. Tibbit of the same address but doesn't give a relationship and just 'present at the death'.

So, any ideas if/how I can be sure this is my ancestor and if I can find out if Samuel was a flutemaker and when he died?

Note: Gratrex is often Gratrix, Gratrey, Greatorex etc. etc. but I'm sure of the name.

Growing old Disgracefully

Samuel is on the 1851 census in Bromley Kent occ. journeyman flute maker he's on his own but says he's married

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thank you! I seem to vaguely remember finding the Bromley record some months go but didn't make a note of it as I didn't know if he was a flutemaker, there was no Mary Ann with him and Bromley seemed 'wrong'. However, this may well be him and would make sense of two possible burial records for Samuel in 1860 in Wellington Street, Spitalfields. It would seem he and Mary Ann were not living together or, perhaps, just separated for work purposes.

I've heard of a journeyman carpenter but never a journeyman flutemaker!

I'll look at finding Samuel's death record and see what the certificate reveals. At the moment the GRO are, understandably, slow and I find that by the time the PDF arrives I've lost the thread of my research.

Growing old Disgracefully

A journeyman is a worker, skilled in a given building trade or craft, who has successfully completed an official apprenticeship qualification. Journeymen are considered competent and authorized to work in that field as a fully qualified employee. They earn their license by education, supervised experience and examination.[1] Although journeymen have completed a trade certificate and are allowed to work as employees, they may not yet work as self-employed master craftsmen.[2]