Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Archibald Morgan (born 1826 Aberdeenshire?)

I am looking for details on Archibald Morgan, born we believe 1826 in Aberdeenshire. We don't have a birth certificate. It could be he is the one who appears in the 1851 Census at Brompton Barracks,Kent. I would like to find out more about that reference.

On the 'Forces War Records' site there are three references to an Archibald Morgan Service No. 1021 dated January 1841 2nd Regiment Of Foot, one for 1851 Duty Location NSW Australia 11th(The North Devonshire) Regiment of Foot and another 1850-1853 Third Kaffir War Regiment 2nd Foot (The Queens Royal).

These of course may not all be the same person.

We believe he came to New Zealand around the late 1850's although we do not have any information on where he came from or a vessel name. We have a New Zealand newspaper article where there is a police constable Archibald Morgan, dated June 1860.

He married my great grandmother the widow Emily Myhre in Christchurch 1875.

He died in Christchurch in 1915. His headstone has 'Staff Sergeant- Major 93rd Highlanders' inscribed on it.

Look forward to any information.

Phil

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Phil

as the query isn't about you I have re-named this thread 'Archibald Morgan (born 1826 Aberdeenshire?)', and because it covers several aspects (Scotland, army, emigration) for the moment I've moved it to 'General family history queries'.

For reference, Archibald's wife Emily Myhre, widow, has already been referred to in a previous thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...d-19th-century

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Phil,

I have nothing very helpful to add, but presumably Archibald's age at death equals a birth c1826.
    Have you checked newspapers for an obituary for him, and possibly Emily?

I don't know what details you find on a NZ BMD certificates, but do you have ones which are relevant, and have you looked very carefully at every minute detail to get even a teeny-weeny clue?

The 1851 census reference (HO107/1611 folio 773 page 2) says Archibald was 25, and born in Ballater, Aberdeenshire. Living in Brompton Barracks, in the parish of Gillingham, in the borough of Chatham.

You need to check out Scotland's People, which has all things Scottish, for a baptism for Archibald. You have to register to use the site, but it's free to search, and you only pay to view actual records.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Phil,

Have you searched 'Papers Past'? There's lots of mentions of the name Archibald Morgan.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/ne...chibald+morgan
    Alma

Have you seen Cyndi's list which has links to sites which may help with your search.
    cyndislist.com/norway/immigration/

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello
    The nearest baptism on Scotland's people is of an Archibald Morgan bp 1824 Glenmuick (which is close to Ballater). Parents James Morgan and Mary Gordon. This Archibald is with his parents in the 1841 census as an apprentice(poss tailor)but is not with the family in 1851.

The 1851 census for Brompton Barracks, Kent, has Private Archibald Morgan age 25, born Ballater, Aberdeen (same area as GlenMuick), Private in army. He's the only man of that age +/- 2 years and county - a surprise as I didn't think that the name was specially rare. In the same Barracks are men of the Royal Artillery, but it doesn't specify which regiment the men in Morgan's section belong to.
    He is not in the 1861.

The newspapers often mentioned troop movements. You could try there.

Birth certificates didn't start in Scotland until 1855, but there is a baptism for Archibald Morgan, son of James Morgan and Mary Gordon, Church of Scotland parish Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn. I (deliberately) don't have enough credits to look up the entry.

PS Scotlands People also has a marriage for James & Mary on 11 Jan 1824, same parish.

PPS He is not on Ancestry's list of military deserters 1812-1927.

Famous for offering help & advice

The National Archives at Kew hold records for the 93rd Highlanders including muster rolls, which might mention Archibald. However the records have not been digitised.("Google 93rd Highlanders National Archives") Records can (in normal times)be viewed in person or copies may be provided for a fee.
    Given the years involved Archibald may possibly have fought in the Crimean war.

Thank you.

Thank you Pam - I am sure you are not completely bonkers ! We have an NZ death certificate on order which will hope fully provide his parents names. I have registered with Scotland's People so will see what that brings.

Regards,
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast