Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think I have some tome ago but I'll look again. Thanks.

Default Christian H Myhre

I am also looking for another relative - Christian (Henrick) Myhre who is recorded as having 'died in South Shields'
    He may have travelled to England 1857 so his death would have been been in the years following that possible date of arrival.

He was an uncle, born in Drammen, Norway in 1828.

Maybe this one?

MYHRS, CHRISTIAN ANDREW, age 32
    GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE Volume 10B Page 11
    Alma

Thank you but second christian name and age don't match to the surname which is not close.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMyhre View Post
    Thank you but second christian name and age don't match to the surname which is not close.
    Some things you need to consider very carefully before dismissing that death registration.

1. Spelling of names (especially foreign ones) was very hit-and-miss even into the early part of the 20th century. Officials wrote down what (they thought) they heard someone say.
    And how you can say
    the surname which is not close
    when it's only one letter out I don't know. The fact that the M, Y. H. and R are all in the right order would 90% convince me that that's your man.

2. Bear in mind that errors occur between what is written in a document, and what is written in a index.

3. Unless, and until, you know the exact birth and death dates you cannot say that the age of someone born in 1828 and who died in 1861, aged 32, doesn't match. It all depends on whether they'd had their birthday that year, or not.

4. Information given on a death certificate is only as reliable as the knowledge the informant had of the deceased. You might well have only ever known your neighbour as William, but his actual name could be Joseph William, so you wouldn't be much use as a reliable informant.

If I were you I'd have a look at the newspapers to see if there's anything about the death, probably searching on just the first name (including any possible variants.)

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-06-2020 at 1:36 PM. Reason: Added a paragraph.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12