Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret08 View Post
    Thank you, I do have his birth certificate, I also have him on the 1939 Register which is how I came to find out about him - I just wish that I knew what happened to him. Maybe the next Census will give me a clue. Sigh!!
    You have Norman Wilfred Yeates on the 1939 register with a date of birth 28 January 1903 ? Why couldn't I find him !?

Margaret08

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    You have Norman Wilfred Yeates on the 1939 register with a date of birth 28 January 1903 ? Why couldn't I find him !?
    Oops! Sorry, my bad, I meant the 1911 Census.

Just looked again at the 1939 though and Jane and Nathan are on there in Yorkshire and interestingly there is a closed record under their names, but surely if that was Norman born in 1903 his record would automatically have been opened? More food for thought.

Famous for offering help & advice

I expect you have noticed a Norman YATES who died Rochdale district 1959 aged 56. I believe there are ways of asking the GRO to check a possible death certificate against a known date of birth. You probably know more about that than I do.

Margaret08

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I expect you have noticed a Norman YATES who died Rochdale district 1959 aged 56. I believe there are ways of asking the GRO to check a possible death certificate against a known date of birth. You probably know more about that than I do.
    Ooh, thanks for that, I hadn't noticed that entry, those dates would tie in nicely (a quick check on FreeBMD show three Norman Yates born in 1903 but none in the first quarter). The only time I've queried a closed record was for my father and I think that I had to enclose a copy of his death certificate, I didn't realise that you could get them to check other entries. I'll look into it, though I don't suppose that they'll be able to do much at the moment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123