Thread: Agnes Brownrigg

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Agnes Brownrigg

Hello.
    I have been trying for years to find out more about Agnes Brownrigg who is my Husbands 3rd Gt Grandmother. Agnes died in Liverpool in 1842 aged 60 years. So born about 1782? However she came from Westmorland. She married Thomas Kitchen in 1814 in Burton-in-Kendal Westmorland and i have only found one son Joseph born in 1817. The family eventually moved to Liverpool. I belong to Ancestry and i have had a hint of an Agnes Brownrigg born in Matterdale Cumberland 2nd January 1779. Asking for the impossible i know but how can i know if this is my Agnes. I do have the copy of marriage but it tells us nothing. Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks
    Susan

Growing old Disgracefully

Agnes was born 1778-9 as she was baptised Date:2 Jan 1779 Matterdale,Cumberland,England.
    parents Robert and Mary.

or this one Name:
    Agnes Brownrigg - Christening - Event Date: 2 Apr 1775 - Event Place: Morland, Westmorland, England Parents Thomas And Elizabeth

Found on Family search

Found on 1841 census with son Joseph

Have you found her in the 1841 census?

Famous for offering help & advice

Though possible, I don't think I would rush to claim the Matterdale Agnes as Matterdale is such a long way North of Burton.
    FS have another possibility closer to Burton - an Agnes Browrig bp Yealand Conyers 1779, which could possibly be worth checking out.

The first Agnes Brownrigg is the one i have had as a hint from Ancestry but as you see from Sandyhall and Grisel there are a couple more and i can't see how i would be able to find out which if any are my Agnes.
    Anyone have any ideas i would be grateful to see them.

Famous for offering help & advice

Looking in Cumbria archives catalogue a Thomas Brownrigg of Burton appears before the magistrates 3 times between 1797 and 1801. Possibly a relation of Agnes? But does indicate at least one other Brownrigg in the area. Have you been able to check Burton in Kendal parish records for Brownrigg baptisms etc etc? There were lots of non conformists in that area too.

Default Agnes Brownrigg

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Have you found her in the 1841 census?
    Yes i have thanks Lesley. She is down as being 10 years older than her Husband that's why i have her down as being born on 1782.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Kitchen View Post
    Yes i have thanks Lesley. She is down as being 10 years older than her Husband that's why i have her down as being born on 1782.
    Remember that in the 1841 Census, adult ages were rounded down (or should have been) to the nearest 5 years.

Agnes might have been any age between 60 and 64, therefore born between 1776 and 1781.

Peter