Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default 2 Service numbers WW2

Hello everyone,

I'm only a week into my research so please be patient with me.

I seem to have found 2 service numbers for my Grandpa in WW2. Could this be correct?

He is not on his parents' 1939 register, which may make sense as he was born in February 1920 so maybe he signed up immediately.

The 1st service number records him as being a casualty in France, 1940, which we didn't know about exactly but there seems to be some family rumour about it. The 2nd service number was in 1943 as a PoW in Singapore, which we knew about.

The service numbers are for different regiments (but same rank level- guardsman and private).

Could a soldier have 2 service numbers in WW2? Why would this be? Why would they change regiments?

Or is the French information a false lead entirely, and I should discount it?

Many thanks!

How common is his name? Could it be two men?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums. This explains our link to Forces War Records if you came to us from there.
    Do you have your grandfather's service record? If not you can apply for it from the MoD at a cost of 30 pounds. You will also need a copy of his death certificate and be able to give either his service number OR his birth date. In your case I would use his birth date as there is some confusion with his service number and if incorrect you won't get a refund. You will also need patience as it will probably be a few months wait for them to be processed.
    This is the 'sticky' which gives some information and the link where you can download the application forms.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    How common is his name? Could it be two men?
    Thank you for replying. I don't think it is that common- Hook- and both soldiers share his other initials. If I could find out if solders were able to change regiment/ service number, that would reassure me either way.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

From 1920 Army Service numbers stayed with soldier even if they changed Regiments. Numbers were allocated to different Regiments ie Grenadier Guards 2,604,001 - 2,646,000
    Guard Battalions went from 2,604,001 - 2,744,000 so if he started out as a Guardsman his number should be in this allocation.
    Keith

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Brilliant Keith! Thank you. Yes, the numbers are totally different. I did think it unlikely he went from the Coldstream Guards in Europe to the military police in Asia.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

If he was Military Police and in the British Army Numbers are :-
    Corps of Military Police 7,681,001 - 7,717,000
    Military Provost Staff Corps 7,717,001 - 7,718,800