Richard Miller

Default HMS Proselyte 1804 Muster list and ships log.

Hi Folks

Could someone tell me how I could view the muster list for HMS Proselyte.

The Royal Navy purchased the Newcastle collier Ramillies in June 1804 and commissioned her as HMS Proselyte in September 1804, having converted her to a 28-gun sixth rate in July and August.

According to the pay records of my 2nd Great Grandfather Thomas Burnett was born in Montrose in Scotland in 1778 (according to age at death in 1859 he was 81). He commenced his career as an Able Seaman named Robert Thomas Burnett with the Navy on HMS Proselyte from 2 Nov 1804. On transfer to HMS Galatea on 30 Jul 1805 and therafter he was known as Thomas Burnett.

I would like to find out if the comissioning of HMS Proselyte took place at one of the river Tyne shipyards or elsewhere and some more deatils of the service records for Thomas Burnett on this ship.

I presume the muster list would give an indication of whether Thomas was a volunterer or was pressed and his age?

I also wondered what the ships log might show?

Any help would be very much appreicated.

Many thanks

Richard

Salisbury & Winchester Journal, 10 Sep 1804
    Captain Hardinge, who so gallantly cut out the Atalante sloop of war, off the Texel, is now appointed to the Proselyte frigate, of 26 guns, now fitting in the Thames.

Is "fitting" a pre or post- commissioning act?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I was puzzled by 2 references to the Proselyte and the distribution of prize money in February and July 1804. But these appear to be related to incidents that occurred some years previously eg. the surrender of Bastia, 1793. That Proselyte now being replaced by the Ramillies?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

Could someone tell me how I could view the muster list for HMS Proselyte.

From the National Archives catalogue -

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C4381107

Presumably a job for when normal times return.