Thread: Hello

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello

Hi There,

My name is Deborah Murden and I have been researching my family history for around 19 years.
    However, it is only recently, i've decided to look into my Uncle's Military past.

He was a POW and i've found records for him in Poland and Italy, he was serving in South Africa with the Sherwood Forresters.

I know he suffered terribly with what we now know to be PTSD in civilian life and his time in the forces was something he very rarely talked about.

His immediate family don't know much about it, so i've started looking into myself.

On the other side of the family, my Grandad was in WW1, but I do have his military records, to say he was a bit of a rogue would be an understatement, which is probably why no-one in the family talked about it.

Anyway, hoping to my more out about my Uncle through this site.

I do have a couple of pictures of him - Can I post this anywhere?

Many thanks

Deborah

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Regarding your Uncle in WW2, if you haven't already done so, you can obtain a copy of his service records. It will cost you 30 pounds and a copy of his death certificate. It can take a couple of months, especially when the media are celbrating an anniversary. See HERE.

You can post photos as part of a query. I haven't done it recently, so I'll leave it to someone else to explain how. The one thing I remember is that if the image is too big, it gets rejected.