Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post

Job, 7 years into his sentence gets a conditional pardon. The conditionality being that he do whatever he wants, go wherever he wants, except go to Canada - not much of a restraint. He was free. That suggests that he performed some notable service for the state - perhaps helped them catch someone?
    Conditional Pardon – given to well-behaved convicts who had been transported for life. This allowed them freedom, but they were not to leave the colony.

Absolute Pardon – gave very well-behaved convicts complete freedom; they could stay in the colony or to return home.

I noticed there were several convicts in the same situation as Job and come out on the same ship. One was granted a conditional pardon the same time as Job and a couple more were granted the following year, seems very few of them did the full sentence.

Famous for offering help & advice

The parents details are from the death index, so by definition will have been provided by a third party and may not be accurate.

Like others, I can't see a baptism that matches, nor a marriage between an Anthony Stone and Mary Collins.

The closest seems to be in 1807 at Chard - Benjamin Stone & Mary Collins. A son is baptised in 1823 in Taunton as Anthony Flower Stone, and Benjamin is a Cordwainer/Shoemaker.

There is no sign of a Job born to them in Somerset, but there is a gap between 1811 (Ann baptised in North Curry)and 1818 (Mary baptised in North Curry). Mary's baptism confirms Benjamin as a Cordwainer. The next child is Benjamin, baptised in Taunton.

However, there is a Job Stone baptised 21 Apr 1816 at Thorncombe, Devon with the parents Benjamin (a shoemaker) & his wife Mary.

Also baptised at Thorncombe to Benjamin & Mary were William (1813) and Thomas (1814)

It therefore seems highly likely that Job's parents were actually BENJAMIN STONE & Mary Collins, and that whoever notified his death incorrectly gave his brother's name instead of his father's name.

Following on from the above, a Benjamin Stone was buried in Chard 3 Jul 1838 aged 52, and appears to have left a will: https://somerset-cat.swheritage.org..../6/2/9/1373/13

Somerset Memorial Inscriptions (FMP) suggests there is a headstone which also mentions Mary.

I suspect that this is Mary in 1841 in Taunton:
    George Coombes 30 Shoemaker (not born in County)
    Mary Coombes 45
    Elizabeth Stone 13 (an Elizabeth was baptised to Benjamin & Mary in 1827)
    Anthony Stone 11 (this has thrown me!)

EDIT: Baptism 29 Aug 1830, Taunton, Anthony Robert Stone s/o Benjamin & Mary Stone, Cordwainer, Upper High Street. (The first Anthony died in 1824)

This looks like Mary remarrying, but with a few fibs/errors….
    7 Sep 1840, West Monkton, Somerset
    George Coombs Full Age Bachelor, Shoemaker, West Monkton. Father: George Coombs, Shoemaker
    Mary Stone, Full Age, Spinster, Cord Maker, West Monkton. Father: John Stone, Farmer
    Wits: Thomas Collins & Ann Plenty.

Ann Stone (baptised to Benjamin & Mary 1811) married James Plenty in Taunton in 1831.
    Last edited by Jomot1; 17-05-2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added info

I've run out of time to edit, but I'm less sure about that 1838 burial for Benjamin Stone as the newspapers say he was for many years the Coachman of the Traveller from Chard to Salisbury, so either he changed occupation or it's a different Benjamin - but if it's a different Benjamin then I can't find another death that fits. I guess only the will and/or death certificate can clear that mystery.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    Conditional Pardon – given to well-behaved convicts who had been transported for life. This allowed them freedom, but they were not to leave the colony.

Absolute Pardon – gave very well-behaved convicts complete freedom; they could stay in the colony or to return home.

I noticed there were several convicts in the same situation as Job and come out on the same ship. One was granted a conditional pardon the same time as Job and a couple more were granted the following year, seems very few of them did the full sentence.
    Please read the actual pardon.

There were different types of conditional pardons and some did restrict them to the colony but not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I've run out of time to edit, but I'm less sure about that 1838 burial for Benjamin Stone as the newspapers say he was for many years the Coachman of the Traveller from Chard to Salisbury, so either he changed occupation or it's a different Benjamin - but if it's a different Benjamin then I can't find another death that fits. I guess only the will and/or death certificate can clear that mystery.
    I've just read the will, and this man's wife is Ann - so not the Benjamin Stone, Shoemaker, father of Job

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    National Archives series WO12 is what I would have recommended for researching soldeiers whose service records haven't survived.

However, there's nothing can be done to verify the details until happier times return.

What is worrying is that we ought to stand a reasonable chance of confirming his birth details from online sources. But Megan and I have both looked but can't find anything that matches.

I think you need to put a big question mark beside the dates and parentage that you've picked up from other people's trees.
    Hi Peter, thank you for the info and guidance. I am definitely reserving my judgment on Job's parentage and birth date until I can find some concrete evidence. Once again, thank you.

Settling in

thank you for the info Shippo. Cheers Brian

Settling in

Many thanks for your input Jomot1. Cheers Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast