Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Great Great Grandfather

During my family tree research, I have just identified that my 3rd Great Grandfather Pte Philip Kennedy from Waterford Ireland served with the 41st Welch Regt(foot). I know he was sick at Varna on the 20th Sept, however was in Balaclava by 5th Nov. How can I find out more information about his service history including clarity on his medal record.
    Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Keith

Brick wall demolition expert!

Keith

Findmypast have the historic service records you are looking for.

To summarise:

British Army Service Records
    Born 1832 Templemore, Tipperary
    Service number 2928
    Rank Private
    Welch Regiment - 41St & 69Th Foot
    Attestation Date 02 Nov 1850
    National Archives Ref: Wo 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913 Box 2012 Box Record Number 121
    Discharge record at Moolton, India 27 October 1871 – served in Malta, Turkeym Crimea, West Indies and East Indies
    In possession of Crimean Medal and clasps for Balaclava and Sebastopol, Turkish War Medal and Good Conduct Medal
    Discharge approved 20 Feb 1872
    Intending to go and live in Newcastle upon Tyne

However, if you go and search through all their records you will find more details, and in particular as there is more than 1 Philip Kennedy look for the 2 regiments mentioned and also his place and date of birth.

He appears in the 1861 and 1871 Army Indexes.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Megan for your informative information, I eventually found the Service Record after some searching last night and have managed to print it off. With regards to searching through all records and finding more details, are you still referring to findmypast as only 1 Philip Kennedy came up?
    Also, can the Army Indexes be found on National Archives or Ancestry.
    Again, thank you and truly grateful for you help.
    Keith

Super Moderator

There is an entry on Ancestry - UK Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions & Discharges for Phillip Kennedy, born abt 1838, Kilmacthomas, Waterford. Drummer with the 41st Foot. Reg no. 4055. Age 27

Super Moderator

Any idea when Phillip was born?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I’ve seen that listing but the Pte Philip Kennedy I’m researching, his Service Number is 2928.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I only know his birth month at this moment in time as about 1840 which doesn’t seem accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Keidee View Post
    Also, can the Army Indexes be found on National Archives or Ancestry.
    Again, thank you and truly grateful for you help.
    Keith
    Keith

These records come from the National Archives. Ancestry may have similar records but they but all the original records on their sister site Fold3 - so that when you find the summary of a record on Ancestry if you want to see the original you have to go another site, and effectively pay twice!

I was in a bit of a rush last night and whilst I had references to Phillip Kennedy in the 41st Reg of Foot in the 1861 & 1871 Indexes, the last record I found was his service record, which gave another regiment - the 69th Reg of Foot, his date and place of birth, and I thought with that additional information you might have been able to find more information, but it seems not.

This is the National Archives research guide for soldiers of the period that might assist:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...tia-1760-1915/

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Megan,
    I found Fold3 only gave me limited information and it was through findmypast that I found his Service Record which you made reference to and relates to his discharge.
    I know what you mean about paying twice or in my case 3 times as I have for Ancestry, Fold3 and Findmypast and I follow your link to the National Archives, it keeps referring me back to findmypast.
    Just out of interest what Date of Birth did you find?
    Regards
    Keith

In his service record it says 1832 Templemore, Tipperary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast