Starting to feel at home

Default Buckle and Hughes (Kent??)

Hi

I am trying to research the Harris family (who seem to be mainly butchers from Wateringbury) and I have found a photo of a store front of a general store called Buckle and Hughes which sold, among other things, tea, butter, meat extract, booze and apricots from what I can tell. There is a similar image online with the same shop name in Barnet. The image appears to be circa 1900 but has three large gas lamps so may be earlier. My question is does anyone know if Buckle and Hughes were a chain or if they moved premises? This image has the number 258 as the address but not a road. It seems to be on a corner and the side road has a (at least) three story building in it. The only clue I have is that Harris is written on the back! I have found some Harris's living in Deptford and Islington.

Many thanks if anyone can shed a little light on this.

Pipsqueek

Hi Pipsqueek, have you tried looking in Ancestry's phone books? I found this, there may be other entries.

Ancestry's British Phone Books 1880 - 1984.
    London North
    1907 Buckle & Hughes family grocers, 258 Upper St N
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

Upper Street is described as the main road through Islington, carrying the A1 road to the north

Historical Directories - Post Office Directory 1910

Upper Street, Islington (N)
    258 Buckle & Hughes, Grocers
    ...Here is Highbury Station Road

Indicates it was on a corner.

Islington Gazette, 26 May 1908
    CYCLES FOR SALE
    For Sale, Budge-Whitworth Bicycle, 26in wheels, North Road upturned bars, Palmer tyres; £2 10s. Gregg, 258 Upper Street, Islington.

I note a Gregg living at this address in 1911 along with 8 others in the Retail/Grocery trade - but no Harrises.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Islington Gazette, 19 May 1911, carried an advert for "Buckle & Hughes, 49, High St, North Finchley".

Starting to feel at home

Thank you so much, guys :-) I am off to do some research now. Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to Ancestry but there is limited access online through my library during the lockdown so I will see what I can find. You are amazing!

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Almach - I have found and copied your reference. Helachau, I can't find your reference - is it on specialcollections.le.ac.uk? And if it is how do I find it? I haven't been able to make a direct link to Harris's yet but I am still trying - the closest I have found is Alfred J Brown who lived in Canonbury in 1911 age 29 so that might be a match.

Yes, it's specialcollections.le.ac.uk. Advanced search -
    https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/d...earch/advanced

Best of luck

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Helachau - I probably need all the luck I can get :-)