Default Please help: How to find out if someone died?

I have been unable to contact my close friend. Her family except one distant relative all live abroad. She had mentioned that the relative had been checking up on her but I don't have the relative's contact details.
    She was very ill and stopped responding to calls and texts.
    In a different town.
    I called her local hospitals but found no information of her being admitted when they checked.
    She recently lost her job so no workplace.

Is there any way to find out if someone has passed away, especially in the middle of this lockdown?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I suggest that you contact the police or the Salvation Army.

There are no records that you can search.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The police and the Salvation Army were my thoughts, too, Megan.

The only other alternative was to phone the local funeral companies. Relatively easy in small towns, but not so good in bigger cities. Plus you have Data Protection Act stuff, though presumably if you could provide information such as full name, address, and date of birth the companies might be willing to at least say yes or no.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you....how can Salvation Army help?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The Salvation Army have a tracing service. Usually used to people who have lost touch with relatives over the years.
    Just checked. Currently unable to accept new queries.
    https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/family-tracing

So the police it is.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

If you have her address could you write and if it’s now a different person at that address just ask them to respond.You could address it as FAO The occupant ,that way they would open the letter. The other suggestion is to contact the local register office explain the circumstances all you need is a yes or no if the death has been registered.

Reputation beyond repute

Probate records appear quite quickly on the official website.

I'm not clear when you lost contact. A couple of months ago? Ten years ago? Electoral registers to 2019 are online but don't include people who opted out of the published register.

I am sorry, but I can’t see what else can be suggested. Hospitals and care homes would not provide information about patients, except to known relatives, under normal conditions, let alone during a pandemic.

I see from your profile that you have not provided a location - if you are in the UK, one option, as restrictions relax, would be to visit. Another would be to write to a neighbor (as occupier of the next address along the street) and say that you are concerned.

The latter is probably the option most likely to provide a result reasonably soon.
    Have you checked the online phone books? If she’s still there, her number should show up.

I am now closing this thread.