Thread: Hi There

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hi There

Hi All,
    I've decided to join this site as I would like to find out about my Dear Uncle John, who was a navigator on the Lancasters .

He suffered terribly mentally long after his service was finished and I remember visiting him at hospital when I was small. I believe he was at Brize Norton.

His name was William John Thomas. I only just found out about the William part. As he was always known as John to my family.

He was in the RAF as I said as a Navigator. He would of been 19/20 in 1945.
    My question is, where do I start in my search. His family don't know his service number and believe he was either, a flight Sergeant or a Warrant Officer.
    Would he be known as John or William in the RAF? were they sticklers, or could he use his middle name.

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

The MOD has not released post-1921 service records for publication, but family members can buy a set. It costs 30 pounds and you have to provide a copy of the death certificate. They will want either a service number or a birthdate. See HERE.

You can't assume that he used one forename or the other. On formal records, he was probably records by his legal name, William John, but it might be William J. or he might not have told them about the William...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

thank you