Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Wording at bottom of will

I’m trying to work out if a particular Will is related to a specific death and need something cleared up about dates.

At the bottom of the will it says “Proved at London 18th October 1834 before the Worshipful Charles Coote Doctor of Laws and surrogate by the oath of Jane May Widow .......

Is this the date probate was granted or the date it was read? Latter might be close to death date, right?

It is an extremely complicated will, dividing the estate between his wife, his brother, his wife’s sister and his sister and various children. With provisions should they predecease him or have children between time will was written and his demise. Hence I assume it would take some time to be granted probate (based on current wills lol). Years?

We’re trying to link it to a death date. Or at least rule out him in regard to a 1834 death. Which would be unlikely if 1834 is the probate granted date.

The will was written in 1818.
    Last edited by Ambersand; 10-05-2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Brick wall demolition expert!

Proved means probate.

Just because a Will has a lot of clause does not mean that it will take a long time to be proved. If the Will is well written (in a legal sense), and the parties are not contentious / litigious then there is no reason it has been assessed and valued that it probated won't go ahead expeditiously. However, how complicated his estate was in terms of how it was assessed and valued.

Famous for offering help & advice

You could check parish burials for 1834 and before to try to find a death date for your man. (I believe FMP may have 1834 burial records for the man in question, though I do not subscribe to check for you).
    In fact burials for 2 8ndividuals in that year in London one age 41, one age 86.

Starting to feel at home

In those days, how long was expeditiously if all the money went to the wife?

Starting to feel at home

I’m in Ancestry UK, and have been doing that.
    We’re eliminating impossible death dates to find the correct one for my Richard May. I found one death listed in St Sepulchre parish register for 1834. If that is my will writer, the calculated birth date from age in register draws a blank when looking for marriages to the wife named in the will. However if it was earlier, there are possibles. That’s why I was kind of hoping the will writer is not the guy buried at St Sepulchre and my guy is. My Richard is definitely not the will writer...

Burial date at St Sepulchre was 11th June 1834...

The older person seems to have been a non conformist burial in Lambeth. Not sure if that will help you or not in your elimination. You have set yourselves a mammoth task!

Doesn't it give the date of death at the top?
    The testaments I have say something along the lines of "Kermit MacMuppet, entertainer of Bass Rock, who died on 30th February 1801".

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    The older person seems to have been a non conformist burial in Lambeth. Not sure if that will help you or not in your elimination. You have set yourselves a mammoth task!
    How can you tell that? From the church? My ancestor was definitely Church of England. We think he even worked for the Archbishop of Canterbury as a House Steward.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Doesn't it give the date of death at the top?
    The testaments I have say something along the lines of "Kermit MacMuppet, entertainer of Bass Rock, who died on 30th February 1801".
    These are in a large file “ in the England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858” each entry starts with a large and ornate “This is the last Will and Testament of etc.” no dates except the date will was written and signed within text and the Proved bit at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersand View Post
    How can you tell that? From the church? My ancestor was definitely Church of England. We think he even worked for the Archbishop of Canterbury as a House Steward.
    If he did work for the Archbishop of Canterbury, you might not want to rule out the one in Lambeth, since the Archbishop's official residence is Lambeth Palace.

What do you have to indicate that he was C of E? Quite a lot of people switched allegiances from time to time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast