Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Breedon on the Hill Parish records/registers

I am wanting to buy either a CD or pay to download the above. Can somebody direct me please? Parish Chest doesn't have them. I'm particularly wanting the bapt. of a James Richards, abt 1796 and his brother John abt 1798. James is 1st choice as he would be 3 x grandfather. All siblings following 1801 onwards were bapt. Griffydam in the Methodist chapel which was built 1778. I'm wondering whether the parents were Weslyan converts after James and John's baptisms possibly Breedon/Worthington. Parents John and Mary. With many thanks.....LizzieB.

Famous for offering help & advice

FindMyPast has images of the original registers, or you can buy a transcript from the site below - it's in their 'Huge Parish Registers' section:

Code:
    https://leicestershire.webs.com/
    I'm not 100% certain, but it looked to me as though at least some Leicestershire registers have been transcribed and indexed at FamilySearch, which is free to use, though in their case images seem to be available only at the LDS Family History Centres.

Reputation beyond repute

If they were Methodists, they won't be in the parish registers!

If you you're looking for non-conformists (before 1837ish), Family Search is probably your best first port of call. For images, see "BMD Registers" (£)

Don't forget that from 1754 to 1837, marriages had to be in a parish church (ie C of E) and should be in the parish registers.

I find the best place for Leicestershire CDs is the Leicestershire & Rutland FHS, although their website doesn’t show the full list.

I’ve checked their non-conformist CD and there’s nothing for James. There is a John, but he was born/baptised 1803, and the abode is Coleorton, not Breedon or Worthington.

Are you certain you aren’t confusing different John & Mary Richards?

1786 John Richards, Brickmaker of Coleorton m Mary Hardy OTP (Hugglescote) by Licence
    1771 John Richards of Breedon m Mary Chiswell OTP (Swepetone)
    1796 John Richards m Mary Jaques, both OTP (Worthington)

The couple who married by Licence are most likely to be the non-conformists.

Following on from the above, I’ve just had another look through my CD’s and it seems there was a bastardy order in 1786 – John Richards Jr of Coleorton was the father, Mary Hardy of Broughton Astley was the mother, and William King of Thringstone & John Richards Sr of Coleorton were the Bondsmen. I can’t find a baptism for the child under either surname.

Hi Jomot1......it is the two first born sons of John Richards and Mary Jaques whose marriage you have there 1796. James 1796 (?) and John 1798 (?). And there's a Mary 1801 born Coleorton but baptised 1803 Griffydam, Thomas 1806 b. Newbold, bapt. Griffydam, Martha b. 1808 Newbold, baptised Griffydam, William b. 1811 Newbold (in the parish of Breedon) and bapt. Griffydam. Also a Joseph Richards bapt. same date as Mary 1803 Griffydam. These are from Ancestry Images and Records of E and W Non-conformists........etc. In any occupations I see of the Richards they are all colliers/miners. John was born 1765 so the first marriage would be possible but not the 1771 marriage. The first marriage is worth me investigating further and I thank you for your efforts. It is very frustrating. The Weslyan persuasion runs through both sides of my family so I'm reasonably happy that the ones mentioned above belong, it's the James and John that are putting a spanner in the works. Many thanks......LizzieB

Gosh just noticed this....and am not familiar with what happens with this order....do they have to marry? You have them married 1786 by licence. The two being bondsmen, is money involved? How interesting.

I would say they were Methodists/Weslyan. Both sides of my family had v. strong Methodist/Weslyan links. And it has been making life just a little difficult Peter. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    FindMyPast has images of the original registers, or you can buy a transcript from the site below - it's in their 'Huge Parish Registers' section:

Code:
    https://leicestershire.webs.com/
    I'm not 100% certain, but it looked to me as though at least some Leicestershire registers have been transcribed and indexed at FamilySearch, which is free to use, though in their case images seem to be available only at the LDS Family History Centres.
    My replies have been going all over the place, so I tried the reply with quote and it's worked. Thanks arthurk. I have an LDS centre close by but of course it will be closed during this dreadful period we are all going through and you have to wait so long for the reel or whatever to come from America or wherever. I'm very interested in that link you have given me, never seen or heard of it. Thank you so much and wish me good luck. LizzieB

The information I've given relates only to Church of England registers, so if they were Wesleyans they might not appear much, especially for baptisms.

However, between 1752 and 1837 the only places where marriages could take place legally were the places of worship of the Church of England, the Quakers (Society of Friends) and the Jews, so unless they were Quakers, non-conformists do usually appear in C of E marriage registers.

And if there was no convenient non-conformist burial ground, they would probably have been buried at the parish church too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast