Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Newbie in need of help

Hi.
    I was hoping for help here. I am sorry if this is the wrong place as I am knew to this
    I am trying to find records for my dad from WW11, which I am finding impossible.
    I have put in his name which is spelled wrong on the documents I have, bu I have tried it both ways. I have included his army number and also when enlisted. I dont know his regiment but have photos of him in uniform. There is also the fact that there seems to be a few privileged leaves and I cant imagine what they were for as my mum wouldnt have been married or mum pregnant at the time.

Not one single thing comes up. I tried ancestry, who have free access to all records up until today. There is no record match at all. Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong'

Thanks in advance for any help given here.

Martin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Martin,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

If you came to us via Forces War Racords, this will explain the connection,
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rs-Please-Read

Although some aspects of a person's military life are available (e.g. if they were a prisoner of war) service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Full details of how to apply can be found at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757

You will need a copy of your father's death certificate, a cheque for thirty pounds, and patience. It's likely to be at least four months before you receive a reply, with the time extending for every week that Covid-19 working restrictions apply.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”