Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Finding records for my grandfather in WW2

Hello,

My family and I are having problems finding military records for my grandfather Herbert Samuel Parsons. All we know was that he was a sergeant in the army but we have no service number. It was thought that he was in the Kent Buffs but did not go to Africa with the regiment because he was in hospital. Apparently he was drafted into the London Fire Brigade Service and found a completely different type of action there.
    The trouble is my uncle has contacted the Kent Buffs but there is no record of my grandfather serving and I have looked on the Forces War Records site and I cannot find him there either. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where I might look? Thank you.

The MOD has not yet released WW2 service records For online publication, but relatives can buy A set. It will cost £30 and a copy of his death certificate. In our History section there’s a forum called WW2 1939-1945. At the top you’ll find a message about finding post 1921 service records.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your reply. My uncle and I have had a look at these forms and they require a service number, which we do not have. I will look at the other forum, thank you.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by JoRosie View Post
    Thank you for your reply. My uncle and I have had a look at these forms and they require a service number, which we do not have. I will look at the other forum, thank you.
    Read the small print. Service number or date of birth.

If you don't know the date of birth then we can probably help so do ask.

However, if Herbert was mostly in the London Fire Brigade it might be that his army service record was only a couple of pages if that. Only you will be able to decide whether it's worth splashing thirty quid. Do you know when the Buffs went to Africa?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley....my first time on this site....where is the "History section" that you mentioned. I, too, am looking for my fathers WW2 war record...TIA

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan66 View Post
    Hi Lesley....my first time on this site....where is the "History section" that you mentioned. I, too, am looking for my fathers WW2 war record...TIA
    Hi Ivan 66,

Lesley's probably indulging in her afternoon tea at the moment, so I'll reply on her behalf.
    History Topics Threads/ Posts is immediately before the county forums.

This is the link you want for the know-how re applying for service records.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757

Note that it will be at least four months before you get a reply from the MoD, and that time will lengthen as lockdown continues.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Bah humbug! I was working!

I find it fiddle to copy paste urls from my iPad, so I usually only include them when I have the PC on.

The delay in sending service records out usually expands when there’s a major anniversary (eg 75 years since the end of WW2 at different times in 2020, depending on where troops were).