Starting to feel at home

Default Christs Hospital Blue Coat schools

Reporting a good way to check students at Blue Coat schools in the 1841 census.

I left the name area blank,put "Christs Hospital" into the Anything box, then chose 1841 census out of the Census and Directories tag.

That gives a complete list of children at ALL the Blue Coat schools. 23,300!

I'm going to experiment with putting in London to see if I can narrow the search down.

Any other clues would be welcome.

Reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on what system you're using.

Starting to feel at home

Sorry, of course. That was in Ancestry UK. I had wanted to browse students there, rather than check a name and found all the Blue Coat students came up first that way.

Wonder if the school registers are still available, they are usually a good form of information on the child parents and address.
    I know Derbyshire records office have some school admissions registers, so maybe the local register office to your search will have them. Would give you hours of fun cross referencing them

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Have you thought about contacting the school direct? Christs Hospital is in Horsham, West Sussex & they have an on-site museum & records library. Whilst I cannot guarantee they will have what you seek, it might be worth exploring that avenue --- chmuseum AT christs-hospital DOT org DOT uk

Alternatively their 'Old Boys' association can be contacted through --- oldblues AT christs-hospital DOT org DOT uk
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 08-05-2020 at 5:21 PM. Reason: Email addresses disguised to deter spammers

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your links. I will try them.